Taylor Industrial Software

blawrenz

I am working with a customer that has a control system that is using a Wonderware like software called Taylor Industrial Software that is being used as an HMI interface to a Modicon 984 PLC.

They are wanting to upgrade the PLC to a Quantum 140 CPU 113 02 PLC system. The current system is communicating via Modbus Plus through a Bridge Mux (NW-BM85-000). They would like to leave the existing Taylor Software in place and just swap out the PLC. I am concerned that this older software may have issues talking to the Quantum Processor.

What I know about the Taylor Industrial Software is that it must be DOS based as it is currently running on a Win 95 machine that when they tried to upgrade the windows software the Taylor software quit working. They Taylor software is not Y2K compliant as when the PC is set to the current date the Taylor Software will quit working.

I know you will tell me to just upgrade the software. Well, the reason for the PLC upgrade is to interface it to a new DCS system that is being installed. But, they would like to retain the existing Taylor Software during the transition, I also think that there may be some internal plant politics at work.

If I can give them a definitive answer one way or the other that would really help.

So my question is, Does anyone have any experience with this Taylor Industrial Software and do you think it will work with a Quantum 140 CPU 113 02 processor through Modbus Plus??

Thanks for your help!!
Brad L.

Brad,

The old Taylor stuff is still around, huh? I know that the Taylor system came out in the 1980's. The original program was definitely DOS-based and no longer available. But I was very surprised to see that the Taylor Industrial Software company is alive and well in Edmonton, Canada, with products for Windows systems. Perhaps it is possible to update the old DOS-based Taylor system.

Seeing as Taylor is still around, I'd try to get a satement from them on the issue of it working with the Quantum. If there is screwy plant politics going on, try to keep your nose clean as much as possible. (sounds like a typical auto plant, internal groups bickering amongst themselves).

Lancie1,
Thanks for the feedback, I found a website for them but was not sure if it was the same Taylor. My understanding was that Taylor had gotten sold to Total Control and then Total Control was bought by General Electric. It also appears that Modicon bought the software that was associated with their products somewhere along the way.
Thanks again!

Jstolaruk,
Thanks for your feedback. I will contact Taylor to see if they can give me some sort of feedback about the software. Yeah as far as those plant politics I just stay out of that, I try to keep a neutral position and let the plants figure that stuff out themselves.
Thanks again!

If I remember right the software was in multiple pieces.

The Taylor Waltz (soft PLC) and Process Windows (MMI for Waltz) went to GE for technology to be rolled into Cimplicity (don't think it worked out that way. They just tried to convert the users).

The Modicon programming software ProNXT went to Modicon to support the older 984 platform and relay ladder for the quantum series.

Of course all this was quite some time ago and it has been quite awhile since I have used those products so I am sure I messed up something.

Darren

Hi Brad,

We've upgraded a few 984 systems to Quantum 140 CPU 113 02's with various legacy HMI's connected via Modbus+, both DOS & Win based and not had any problems with the Quantum <> HMI comms.

AFAIK the implementation of Modbus+ on the Quantum is identical to that on the 984's.

Kevin H

Kevin,
Thanks that makes me feel better knowing that you have had success with this type of upgrade.

A follow-up to the previous comments. I contacted Taylor Software in Canada and they did say that they were the same company, but that they were no longer associated with that division and could not help me. He did say that I should try GE Fanuc as they were the ones that ultimately ended up with the software package. My personal experience with GE on stuff like this that they have bought is that they are unwilling to support it or answer any questions about it. We had some Total Control equipment in a plant that I used to work in and they gave us nothing but a complete run-around on our issues. We ultimately ended up getting rid of the Total Control equipment and replacing with Allen Bradley Panelviews.

Thanks,
Brad

hi all,
i have Yaskawa PLC U84S but i dont have a software to connect to it. Hope you would care to help me if any of you still has the Taylor Proworx from Taylor Industrial Control software. Thank you.

Regards,

Roberto Hosea

hi all,
i have Yaskawa PLC U84S but i dont have a software to connect to it. Hope you would care to help me if any of you still has the Taylor Proworx from Taylor Industrial Control software. Thank you.

Regards,

Roberto Hosea

You'd get an answer faster if you posted a new post.