AOI for string.replace method

I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to put together with a few COP, FIND, DELETE and CONCAT instructions. I've never actually built one though.

Shocking! PLC programmers probably not aware of this useful function in .NET.

I ended up w/: FIND, GRT, DELETE, INSERT

Ah, I didn't even think of insert, that'd make it even easier!

PLC's are generally not geared toward string handling at all. They can do it, but it's never been a focus, because why would you do string handling in a PLC when you could do it in the HMI/OIT/software? You'd need a HMI/OIT/etc to allow for string manipulation in the first place, so it makes sense to do it at that level.

I'm curious now - I can't think of any likely reason to need a string search-and-replace function within a PLC - what's your application?

I use an AOI with this in it:
if WorkString.LEN>0 and SearchString.LEN>0 then
Find(WorkString,SearchString,1,FoundPos);
if FoundPos>0 then
Delete(WorkString,SearchString.LEN,FoundPos,WorkString);
Insert(WorkString,ReplaceString,FoundPos,WorkString);
end_if;
end_if;

Ah, I didn't even think of insert, that'd make it even easier!

PLC's are generally not geared toward string handling at all. They can do it, but it's never been a focus, because why would you do string handling in a PLC when you could do it in the HMI/OIT/software? You'd need a HMI/OIT/etc to allow for string manipulation in the first place, so it makes sense to do it at that level.

I'm curious now - I can't think of any likely reason to need a string search-and-replace function within a PLC - what's your application?

Zebra Printing - further info here: https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e9e54c55d67ebd21063134df97c11948&topic=2209.0

So why not do the find and replace using VBA in the AAHMI before it even gets to the PLC/printer?

So why not do the find and replace using VBA in the AAHMI before it even gets to the PLC/printer?

If using PC & AAHMI, then yes. No PLC requirement
If using PLC only, then the new AOI will do the search & replace the variables in the ZPL string.

Right, got it. In that case, I'd probably build the ZPL string up piece by piece using CONCAT instructions, instead of starting with a complete string with placeholders and replacing them. But there are plenty of ways to skin this zebra.