CE Certification & PLC Programming

STL???

Hi,
A question for the machine builders/OEM's on here.

I understand that from a hardware point of view that any modification to either the functionality or safety system would require re-assesssment but what about the software side?

If the functionality was the same but additional programming was added to enhance diagnostics would this void Certification?

What about panel upgrades for obsolete units?

Appreciate your thoughts on this

thanks

Are you refering to programmable safety controllers.
If so any change to the program after sign off must be revalidated and submitted as the program becomes hardcoded documentation and most controllers can lock the program in.
As long as the changes are made public and a risk assessment is undertaken there won't be an issue - yes re-assessment.
PLC changes are not as strict and normally as long as hard wiring is unaltered will only require a risk assessment by a qualified competent person.
This is a generalization.

Hi - thanks for your reply.

For clarity i mean if you modify a PLC program (not Failsafe PLC)

So what i would like to know is at what point could a program change affect the CE certifcate if any?

I personally dont see a problem providing the machine functionality stays as per supplied.

We had a training session on this subject last week (cheers bloke from Wemtech!) and as far as I understand, providing the PLC change doesn't alter the intended functionality of the machine or alter the safety aspects of it, then no further action is required.

As for panel upgrades on obsolete units, does the unit have a declaration of conformity in the first place? If it wasn't CE marked and you make any modifications to it, then you have to do the assessment for the whole shooting match.

SS