Annoyed with Allen Bradley / FactoryTalk Alternatives ?

RacerX10

I've just been told AB has a 2 week lead time to purchase FactoryTalk ME

What kind of nonsense is that ? I asked, and was told "FactoryTalk is a custom software product and takes time to prepare"

What a load of ****. I was also on the line forever trying to get in touch with somebody there.

Anyway, this has left me willing to consider alternatives.

My needs are simple :

Hardware : SLC5/05 with ~ 4 DIGITAL Input cards, 4 Digital Output cards.
Display 15" Capacitive Touch Panel driven by a vanilla Windows PC that I'll install XP or Win7 on.

My application will only need to monitor / display 8 or 9 counters on the SLC and keep up with a few totals on button presses that will be done on the display.

Bonus points if I can easily export any of this data to an excel spreadsheet and print out from there or directly.

Can anyone suggest some nicely supported alternatives to FactoryTalk ME ?

Thanks !

What kind of nonsense is that ? I asked, and was told "FactoryTalk is a custom software product and takes time to prepare"

What a load of ****. I was also on the line forever trying to get in touch with somebody there.

My needs are simple :

Display 15" Capacitive Touch Panel driven by a vanilla Windows PC that I'll install XP or Win7 on.

My application will only need to monitor / display 8 or 9 counters on the SLC and keep up with a few totals on button presses that will be done on the display.

Bonus points if I can easily export any of this data to an excel spreadsheet and print out from there or directly.

Thanks !

Redlion G3xx Series

http://www.redlion.net/g3features/

That looks like a complete package with hardware.

I just need software.

Yes, but based on what you are doing, the G3xx will work fine.

If you want to just buy software to run on a PC and touchscreen monitor you already have, I bet someone will be along soon offering you his free software.

The G3x does look like a really nice package, but I have a custom built operator station with a custom fit panel already set up, and a PC sitting there ready to run it .. so software is all I'm after. I suspect that I'm going to end up with FactoryTalk anyway <sigh>, I just wanted to see if there were well-liked alternatives available.

My needs are simple :

Thanks !

check out inductive automation. they offer a free panel edition of their scada software that should be able to handle what you want to do.

The G3x does look like a really nice package, but I have a custom built operator station with a custom fit panel already set up, and a PC sitting there ready to run it .. so software is all I'm after. I suspect that I'm going to end up with FactoryTalk anyway <sigh>, I just wanted to see if there were well-liked alternatives available.

Iconics Genesis32

I wonder why in the hell AB takes 2 weeks to ship a silly CD ? Am I the only person that thinks that's ridiculous ?

I've been in the PC business a long time and have never heard of anyone taking that long to ship a disc on an existing product.

All they really need to do is issue you an activation code and you could download the software from the website. Who really needs the boxed software? They don't come with printed documentation anyway.

All they really need to do is issue you an activation code and you could download the software from the website. Who really needs the boxed software? They don't come with printed documentation anyway.

Yah ! I was actually calling them to ask about digital distribution thinking I might be able to get it TODAY, and they hit me with this 2 week nonsense.

Pretty pathetic.

I wonder why in the hell AB takes 2 weeks to ship a silly CD ? Am I the only person that thinks that's ridiculous ?

I've been in the PC business a long time and have never heard of anyone taking that long to ship a disc on an existing product.

Our distributor suggested that the production and distribution of Rockwell software is handled by a 3rd party. That being said, I'd crack the whip on the 3rd party.

My understanding is HP handles the software and FYI RSLogix5000 has the same lead time.

Our distributor suggested that the production and distribution of Rockwell software is handled by a 3rd party. That being said, I'd crack the whip on the 3rd party.

I agree. Seem to me almost everytime you outsource something like that it goes to shi*.

The bean counters like outsourcing everything because it looks cheaper on thier report but in the grand scheme of things it is most of the time more costly.