12 V PLC suitable for automotive use?

Be a little carful here. it's not just that you want 12VDC, you also need to pay attention to temperature and vibration specifications when using controllers on a vehicle. Many of the low cost micro PLCs will not do well with that. The Teco SG2 for example is only rated 70C (158F) storage, many of the others are far less, but vehicles in the sun can reach much higher air temps. You don't likely need to worry about the operating temperature that much, because if it is operating you will have some form of climate control. The problem is with damaging the controller when the vehicle is parked in the sun. When the outside temp is 80-100F, the interior temp can be as high as 172F (78C) if exposed to the sun, so you want something that can handle at least 85C (185F) storage temperature. Also, you will want something that is rated for at least 2G of acceleration and 30G of shock, the Teco and others listed are not rated that high at all. It's safer to assume that if a supplier fails to list their environmental limitations, the lack of it indicates they may have something they don't want known. RTFM before you buy.

The IFM unit linked to will meet those specs, but requires CAN programming, not typical of industrial logic if you are not familiar with it.

The only pico type PLCs, those that program like PLCs that is, that I am aware of that are available with those kinds of environmental specs are the Siemens LOGO! Extended Range version (which is also brand labeled as Idec), and the AB Micro 810. Both are available with 12VDC input.

Thank you for replies everyone. I will go with DirectLogic one for test run. I have one left over from previous project. Needs bit of repairs, but doable. Still have decide for final project tough. Didn't think much about vibrations, thanx for reminding me about that!!!

Hello, I realize this is a very old post, however this information is for anyone new looking for a good mobile PLC. Parker has a full line-up of IQAN PLC's and components made for the transportation industry and more.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/E...iterature files/IQAN_catalog_HY33-1825_us.pdf

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/iqan-mc4x-master-controllers-for-mobile-
hydraulic-systems-and-vehicles/20085111

Best, Sharif

you bumped an 8 year old post, to sell us parker products?

When a brand new user's first post is to revive a thread that's been dormant for years to post a link to a commercial site, we generally consider it to be advertising. Had I noticed it before ArcReactorKC posted his comment, I would have deleted it.

I'm a moble design engineer looking to improve our vehicle and prodicts.
So far we have no way of knowing for sure if that's true, but I'll accept that you may be who you say you are. The issue is, you used the same MO as the spammers. When you put up a post that looks a lot like spam, don't be so quick to take offense when we treat it like one. When a live telemarketer calls me using a spoofed caller ID, my first question to them is, "You were lying before I answered the phone. Why should I believe anything you say."

If it walks like a duck and quack's like a duck, odds are its a duck. Maybe every once in awhile its a kid dressed up as a duck but my money is on... its just another dick

I have a "Light Control Changing" PLC for my SUV, just not installed yet.

When scoping out PLC's for the job I ended up getting a ML1400 with an add-on output card. All the inputs and outputs will work with 12V.

The only thing I had to add was a DC-DC converter for 12 to 24V. For that I bought the Automation Direct Click one for running their PLC on 12V, but that only powers the CPU.

Last edited: