First CompactLogix system is it OK?

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is my first attempt at a CompactLogix system so please point out any flaws in my plan or any pitfalls to watch out for. The system is going on a plastic extrusion machine so a bunch of single loops are going to be replaced.

System requirements

24 Thermocouple IN

10 Analog Current IN

34 Analog Current OUT

32 AC IN (16 Min)

32 AC OUT (16 Min)

32 DC IN (16 Min)

32 DC OUT (16 Min)

16 Relay OUT (JIC)

I am planning on using AB or Spectrum for the Analog and Thermocouple Inputs.

I have it planned out so the racks are broken up to help isolate the I/O

1 L35E, PA2, IT6, IT6, IT6, IT6, ARM, ARM, ARM, ARM.

2 ARM, ARM, IF8, IF8, PA2, OF8, OF8, OF8, OF8, OF8, ARM, ARM.

3 IA16, IA16, OA16, OA16, OW8I, PA2IQ16, IQ16, OB16P, OB16O, OW8I

I know that I have a lot of expansion room with the ARM card. My boss told me to design for maximum I/O possible so we always have room and do not have to re-label wires when we add on. I am trying to standardize on something anything just as long as it is the same. We only standardize on nothing can be the same.

Going to be out of the shop for the next 2 days so I am not ignoring the help I get from you all. I am just in training.

Guys after I got home last night I thought that about the powersuply loading on the 2 rack. It may be overloaded if I expand the system. If so I will upsize all the PS to the same size.

What you need to do, besides power supply loading is look at both distance from the power supply certain cards can be and connections. The most important would be connections.

There is a configuration book that will allow you to list out your cards and determine the connection requirements to the processor. That will determine if you are okay or not.

David