Can't find Rockwell .lic file

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to move the activation files from an old (c. 2005) Windows XP machne to a new laptop. When I open FactoryTalk Activation Transfer Tool, I don't see the activation files for RSLogix 500 or 5000, even though both are licensed. I've searched for .lic files and haven't returned any from Rockwell.

I don't have the product key for any of the software I originally installed.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, there was a different licensing scheme in the past. Can anyone advise me

I've been trying to call Rockwell technical support for the last two evenings, but I can't get through. 90+ minutes last night and over an hour tonight...

Look for the move activation under utilities. This should be under Rockwell Automation under all programs in windows. never dealt with factory talk Activation Transfer Tool, Maybe this is the tool you need.

could they be evrsi based licenses? If so, and if you can find the product keys or remember who they're registered to, contact tech support and ask if they can convert them to FT licenses.

The "classic" activation method for Rockwell Software was called "EVRSI" and used copy-protected diskettes. Later the activation utility was updated to support removable media devices like USB jump drives and CompactFlash cards, and you can get the EVMOVECF utility from the RA Knowledgebase.

Rockwell otherwise doesn't provide a lot of support for EVRSI activations; it's been obsolete for 10+ years and users who still rely on them are generally using obsolete or unlicensed software. A very common bundle of services when a customer buys a TechConnect contract is to migrate all the EVRSI activations to FactoryTalk Activation licenses.

Most RA software stopped supporting EVRSI several versions ago; FactoryTalk View, for example, last supported it in v4. RSLogix 5000 finally gave it up in v18 or v19.

Find 3 files under Public Documents, Rockwell Automation, Activation's and copy these file. Paste them in your other computer in the same location. They should look something like this. hostflex [ I use a dongle] FTAsyst.lic, Flexsur.opt. If your activation is to a Ethernet board,CD or hard drive this want work.

I can see the licenses for RSLogix 500 & 5000 when I use the "Move Activation" application. I can't, however, move the licenses to a removable USB drive. I see the error "You cannot move to a non-Master removable drive under Windows NT"

Looks like I might be stuck with waiting on hold again this evening...

Are you using the the regular EVMove application? It is no good with removable drives, but there is a version called EVMoveCF.exe that should allow you to move the activation to a USB drive.

In any case, moving the activation may not do you any good with newer software versions. Several times in the past I have used Rockwell Tech Support to convert legacy activations to Factory Talk activations. I have used their Chat help line and they have been great at getting it done pretty quickly without me having to be on hold on a phone.

We do have a tech support agreement, but even without one (many years ago) they have been helpful with activation support.

EDIT: Answer ID 31319
Date Created: 03/15/2005, Last Updated: 01/10/2018
Access Level: Everyone:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31319/page/1

Last edited:
Lic Rockwell

I Have the same issue and contacted Rockwell, the service guy told me eventually i would have to buy another licence at £2.5k, is there any other way around this? he did give me the licence as a hostkey but my software is looking for the EMove protection.
Any help would be appreciated.

Garry.

For the EVRSI licenses there are 3 EVMove utilities

EVMove (32 bit)
EVMoveW (64 bit)
EVMoveCF (64 bit supports USB drives and CompactFlash cards)

EVMoveCF was available at Rockwell's Free Downloads under Compatibility & Downloads last time I had to get it.

What versions of RS500 & RS5000 do you have?

RS500 before v9 only used EVRSI, 9.0 used both and 9.05 only FTA

Not sure when the RS5000 changes happened, but they are mentioned above.

I usually call Rockwell and complain about my hard drive dying and I lost activation.
They then just fixed the activation over the phone.