FactoryTalk View Studio with dongle?

rleon

Hi:

I have a doubt, do you know if I can use FTView studio with a dongle license? I have to buy it to my business, but first I need to install it in my customer PC because it has a 22" monitor (easy to develop graphics), and then I wan't to change the license to my laptop, and then use in another PC with big monitor. Because I have to move the license between computers, I wan't use the rehost method, considering that I will be in a very far zone without internet connection at the moment.

Thanks

OK, I understand, but the point is what kind of activation I have to buy? Node locked or concurrent?

To follow your idea, how can I use the same .lic file in each computer if this file is linked to the MAC address or to the hard disk serial number of only one computer (the first install)?

Thanks for your help.

Ok most of the time you need to buy node locked activation but you can make a concurrent work by installing the activation server and client on the pc.

When you activate the software you activate to the dongle not the mac id,nic or HD Serial#.

So your lic is locked to the dongle. It would be nice if the dongle was kinda dual function and had storage space like a regular usb drive that way you could store the logix installer and .lic file on it and have everything you need.

I keep my installers and lic files in my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/ along with a copy of my program files so i can install anywhere if needed it has come in handy a couple of times.

Ok, thanks for your help. I will buy a usb dongle for that purpose. I agree with you that the dongle could have some space to save the installers and lic files, to keep all in one unit.

Ok, thanks for your help. I will buy a usb dongle for that purpose. I agree with you that the dongle could have some space to save the installers and lic files, to keep all in one unit.

Maybe at some point they will have a dongle with storage space. Rockwell guy's.

Maybe at some point they will have a dongle with storage space. Rockwell guy's.

Fair Notice:
(We use dongles all the time on run-time computers)...
There is a documented problem with 'some' computers' inability to make the USB dongle 'show up' in time for RSView.

AB has a work-around, implemented as a DOS batch file (reread.bat) that forces the USB driver to be present for FTVME.

It works, but might need tweaked, depending on the platform.

Look on AB's Knowledge base now, and save yourself time later.