Kinetix 350 Help Needed

bbishop108

I am using an AB L27ERM PLC and a Kinetix 350 Servo, now I have almost zero experience with servos with the exception that I have been reading through the programming/set up manuals for this servo. As such I have established communications with the servo and even completed the hook up tests for Motor and Feedback with zero errors.

So I'm hoping that my question(s) will give me that additional info that I seem to be lacking after they are answered. I have a sensor wired in to pin 26 & 30 and I want to use that as my home position. Additionally I want my home position to be zero. While watching the data tag for Actual Position, when I move the servo by hand the positional data changes. One of my questions is how do I set a value of zero for this home position?

Now the fun stuff!!! I've read about the Motion Direct Commands, but I'm not really getting how they work or how to use them in a PLC program. The basic scope of my project will be starting from a zero reference position (home) move forward to whatever position I specify. This will actually be controlled by a touch probe, so we will move forward until the touch probe is made. Then I will capture that positional data for other uses, but after making contact on the part with the touch probe. Once that happens then I will want to reverse direction and go back to the home position (zero position).

So I need help with:
1. Establishing a zero reference position as my home position with the wired sensor.
2. Motion instructions, which ones to use for forward, stop, reverse.

I think that's everything.....for now!!!:)

I'm not super familiar with the homing stuff, but I think the instruction you want is MRP. Its also possible there's a configuration in the axis for using an on-board input as a home.

As for the normal moving here are the basic steps
1) MSO - Turn on Servo
2) Do something: MAJ - jog, MAM - move to position
3) MAS - Stop ( optional, depends on what move command )
4) MSF - Turn off Servo

Thanks for this info and I was actually able to find a couple of tutorial videos that have helped as well. So I have set a home position and when I went to use the MAJ command it returned a 16#0005 fault: Command tried to execute on an axis whose servo loop is not closed. So what does that mean? I will look through the manual to try and find this error, but more importantly what do I need to do to resolve this condition? Thanks

nighline: So I was using the Motion Direct Commands, and I did select the MSO instruction and used the Execute command and had no errors there first. Then I selected the MAJ instruction and selected Execute command and then I received that fault message.

So does that I mean I need a line of logic that sets the MSO to on before I can use the MAJ instruction? Thanks

No, if you did a MSO without errors, and no MSF before a MAJ, it should work.
I've a lot experience with Kinetix 300, and I'm not sure if the enable of the drive is the same. For the 300 you need to enable the drive hard wired and by software.

There is a monitor function in MotionView, on the right top you can see if your drive is enabled...
Is the drive in the right state?

Thanks for this info and I was actually able to find a couple of tutorial videos that have helped as well. So I have set a home position and when I went to use the MAJ command it returned a 16#0005 fault: Command tried to execute on an axis whose servo loop is not closed. So what does that mean? I will look through the manual to try and find this error, but more importantly what do I need to do to resolve this condition? Thanks

Nightline is correct, this is the error for the servo being off. FYI when using the manual commands, your ladder logic can turn the servo right back off again.

I feel I'm getting closer, so far I do not have any logic written for this servo as I'm just trying to understand how to get it to move with just the Motion Direct Commands. I have been successful in configuring a Home Position with both a switch and a marker setting. So before I make any moves I use the Execute Command for the following in this order: MAFR, MASR, MSF, and MSO. Once all of those return No Errors I then selected MAM command and successfully got the servo to move to the position I specified. Then I selected the MAH command and the servo moved to my set Home Position and stopped. So far using the Motion Direct Commands today has been a success, thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

My next steps will be to write some logic to execute these simple commands for moving the servo with the MAM and MAH commands! Fingers crossed!!!

Ok, I was able to get some basic logic written that first check for servo errors and resets the MAFR and MASR if there is a fault. If there is not a fault then I do an MSF, once that is complete then it does an MSO. I then set up an MAM based on my previous testing with the Motion Direct Commands, so once the MAM was complete I triggered a timer to use as a short pause and then it executed an MAH command. I'm happy to report that all of it was successful!!! So I was able to move the servo via the PLC. Thanks again!!!

Now I need to continue forward with applying my basic program to include its overall project application. So basically I would like to know is if the MAM command is what I need or is there a better command for my application? My application will include using a touch probe to trigger a MAS when the probe is activated, as such if I use the MAM command I am not going to a fixed position but rather continuing forward until the probe is triggered and I expect that the stop position will vary from part to part. In my mind I can use the MAM to rapid forward to a fixed position well above the part, this is where I would want to continue forward at a slower speed until the probe makes contact with the part. So that now becomes my question as to how/what would be the best way to do that? Thanks

So if I'm reading this right you would use the MAM at a faster speed to get to a staging position first, then you want to move at a slower speed to a variable position?

I would use the MAJ instruction for the second part. It lets you jog the motor as a given speed until its stopped with the MAS.

Gomez: Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I ended up trying and was successful doing it this way. I used the MAM to rapid move to a fixed point, which will be above my part, then when the MAM is done (PC) I then run the MAJ in a slower speed until the touch probe is made. The touch probe triggers the MAS, and I then capture the servo position before I execute the MAH instruction. I believe I now have sufficient info to work with the servo for this project, so I will call this done!!!

Thanks again for all the info posted here, this is such an amazing place for us newbies to get info! Greatly appreciated!!!