1756 L81 v.30.00 ESM module fault disappeared

bigLee

Hello,

I had an out of box controller 1756 L81 Contrologix. Was running for about a week and started getting the ESM fault. Powercycling did nothing. I downloaded the program again to flash and the ESM error went away. Maybe 2 days later it reappeared. Downloading to the controller would clear it temporarily.

This particular unit doesn't have a removable module. You have to replace the whole controller.

I have since put a blank program in the controller and left powered on for 2 weeks. The ESM fault has not occurred again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the battery good or should I just get a new controller?

Is the PLC in a temperature controlled environment?

I've had issues with the new series and faulting after being stored in a cold environment, when PLC came back to an OK temperature the fault cleared after a couple of power cycles.