Siemens Masterdrives AC/DC Rectifier

Mad_Poet

Dear Sirs,
What I need is some insight into 'Forming' the capacitors (or re-forming)
inside a Siemens Rectifier.

The box turns 480 Vac into high voltage DC for some Masterdrives.

Part number is 6SE7031-2EP85-0AA0.

Can anyone point me to the proper manual for this beast?

Thanks,
Poet.

There are all manner of guides on the web for "capacitor reforming" procedures. The concept is universal, the brand of drive is irrelevant. Having the right tools for this is however, important and not often standard fare; you need a variac (variable autotransformer) power source that goes up to your line voltage.

Did you have this powered down for over a year?

Thanks guys.
I was hoping for something a little more specific - this is the 'Common rectifier'.

In our machines, it turns 480 VAC into high voltage DC for powering up either two, or four, or six MasterDrives.

Our box does not have a programming panel on it . . . is it supposed to be programmable?
Poet.

I didnt know a compact plus rectifier needed reforming
but theres a lot of things I dont know :)
But I do know it's a nonregen rectifier. They are not programmable like the RRU

Last edited:
It's not the rectifier itself that needs reforming, its the DC bus caps. If your rectifier unit is NOT inclusive of the DC bus caps, then there is nothing to reform. I can't tell from the Siemens literature if this unit is just the rectifier and the DC bus caps are in the drives, or if this includes the caps and pre-charge circuit. That sounds like a call to Siemens...

Mad
Since these rectifiers do not have reforming discussed in the manuals...
let us know what Johnson City hotline says...

A former co-worker of mine (he left to go to californica) was taking care of those things . . .

Amongst his notes I found this :
>>>
1. Rectifier reform - you can do this and it will extend the life of this component, commonly this is done by applying power but not running for at most 12 hours.

2. MM420 reform - This can be done as well by applying the 440v and not running it for a fixed amount of time. This can be done while the drive is offline, but powered.

No one here has ever formed a micromaster drive, other than just powering it.
- John MacDonald
Goss Technical Support
>>>

My former co-worker also built up a circuit - three phase rectifier, resistor, capacitor - for re-forming drives. I re-formed and installed one drive with it, and then re-formed a second drive.

As per this note, I put 480 VAC to my common rectifier, and I'm letting it sit with it. Maybe next week I'll try putting it into a machine. (Along with that second drive I re-formed - both need testing.)
Poet.