RS-232 - Ethernet/ip CONVERTER to Allen Bradley

Marcosbelgo

Good Afternoon colleagues!

I need to do data acquisition for my MICROLOGIX 1200 but, I already using channel 0 to communicate with HMI and MICROLOGIX 1200 only have one port. I will not use a NET-ENI because this is almost the same price of a new CLP. So, I thinking to use a simple RS-232 - ETHERNET converter to put all in a switch. My question is:
Is the converter independent of protocol? will it convert any protocol since it is rs232? I am searching for RS232 converter and found many cheap options.

What do you think aboult this solution? Anybody know any other solution?

Thanks

found many cheap options.

The problem is that the general-purpose devices don't understand the DF1 protocol that the MicroLogix speaks, so they don't have any way to distinguish data from the serial side (the replies to DF1 commands) and determien which Ethernet host should get it.

The Digi One IAP knows about DF1 transaction identifiers, so it knows how to make sure that Ethernet Host 1 gets the serial reply to the packet that came from Ethernet Host 1, rather than just giving it the next reply out of the controller.

These are inexpensive devices, so comparing their relative costs is not very instructive. You have a function you need to perform, and it costs money to do it right.

Digi International has at least six retailers who serve Brazil.

I would price replacing the 1200 with a Micrologix 1100 or Micrologix 1400. The cost isn't much higher than most converters, you don't have to worry about overloading the slow serial connection with all the ethernet connections, the conversion is pretty simple since Logix500 does most of the work for you, and you gain the ability to do online edits.

I would price replacing the 1200 with a Micrologix 1100 or Micrologix 1400. The cost isn't much higher than most converters, you don't have to worry about overloading the slow serial connection with all the ethernet connections, the conversion is pretty simple since Logix500 does most of the work for you, and you gain the ability to do online edits.

I would have to agree with Helliana...
The Digi converter is ~$500 and the latest quote I received from RA rep. for a MicroLogix 1400 was ~$700.

The problem is that the general-purpose devices don't understand the DF1 protocol that the MicroLogix speaks, so they don't have any way to distinguish data from the serial side (the replies to DF1 commands) and determien which Ethernet host should get it.

The Digi One IAP knows about DF1 transaction identifiers, so it knows how to make sure that Ethernet Host 1 gets the serial reply to the packet that came from Ethernet Host 1, rather than just giving it the next reply out of the controller.

These are inexpensive devices, so comparing their relative costs is not very instructive. You have a function you need to perform, and it costs money to do it right.

Digi International has at least six retailers who serve Brazil.

Thanks Ken,

The DIGI is very expansive, it is almost same cost of NET ENI. So, I were thinking: is it possible read PLC registers throug the HMI (IX-T5F-2 from the Altus)? HMI have two serial ports, where one I am using to comunicate with CLP, and one ethernet port. The HMI have all Allen Bradley drivers protocols and is possible configure each port with one driver.

Hi Helliana,
This change is impossible for me now. We finished upgrade machines, and now, I need to measure my gain. I am using labview for this.

I would have to agree with Helliana...
The Digi converter is ~$500 and the latest quote I received from RA rep. for a MicroLogix 1400 was ~$700.

Hi KuulKuum,
In Brazil, it is much more expensive

Last edited:
I'm just explaining why your money would be wasted entirely on a general-purpose Ethernet/RS232 converter. If your budget is insufficient to fulfill the project requirements, there is no technical solution that I can suggest.

The 1761-NET-ENI was discontinued from production earlier this year. The Digi One IAP is a better product, and the RTA Automation 515RTAENI-N34 is another good substitute.

I do not use those Altus/Beijer HMI screens and cannot tell you if their drivers or data logging or data collection features will work for your purposes.