configuring Remote I/O with SLC 5/04

racso

I don't have very much experience with remote I/O. Thought I'd throw that on the table right away.
This is an existing system that my customer requires an addition to:
My question:
As I have as posted above I have a SLC 5/04. The 1747-SN is configured as follows: 1/2 to robot 1, 1/2 to robot 2, 1/4 rack logical rack 1, 1/4 rack logical rack 2, 1/4 rack logical rack 3.
How much spare do I have left?

Does anyone know a good link for a configuring Remote I/O addresing? eg. number of racks (restrictions), 1 slot/2 slot addressing etc.

Thanks in advance.
RaCsO

The best configuration manual for Remote I/O on the SLC controller family is the 1747-SN User Manual.

Publication 1747-UM013.

A 1747-SN scanner can scan four Logical Racks, numbered 0, 1, 2, 3.

Each physical device on the network can use one or more Logical Racks worth of address space.

It sounds like you have five physical devices:

Rack 0 1/2 Rack Device 1
Rack 0 1/2 Rack Device 2
Rack 1 1/4 Rack Device 3
Rack 2 1/4 Rack Device 4
Rack 3 1/4 Rack Device 5

Rack 0 is fully utilized, but 3/4 rack worth of address space is not use on Racks 1, 2, and 3.

If you were to take Devices 3,4,5 and consolidate them into Rack 1 by addressing them as different starting Groups, you could free up address space for more devices. As it is, you would have to place new devices into the unused portions of Logical Racks 1, 2, and 3.

This whole "Rack, Group, Slot" addressing system is archaic and dates from the PLC-2 era of the late Seventies, but it's also the reason for the near immortality of the A-B Universal Remote I/O protocol.

Another way if you dont want to mess with the existing is to put another SN card in the plc rack (if there is space) and use that for the new RIO.

Also if the new RIO Rack is only say a 1/4 or 1/2 and needs to be in the panel where there is already a 1/4 or 1/2 RIO rack, then you can just add to it (if there is space) and reassign the IO etc to make a 1/2, 3/4 or Full Rack.

Are you adding just Digital IO or Analogue as there are issues with Analogue and youll need to Block Transfer to get the data out or in.