Allen Bradly to GE PLC

Msut419

So i am looking to install a small AB system to control a unit in my plant and i need to talk with my GE 90/70 (main machine PLC) as simply as possible.
I was thinking a micro logix to run the small system, will this work with the communication to the GE 90/70? What do i have to do or use to make them talk?

What CPU in the 90-70? What other communications modules are present?
You'll probably have to go with Modbus as the protocol, either Modbus RTU over a serial link or Modbus TCP over an Ethernet link.
If there is an HMI installed already on the 90-70 system look into using it as the bridge to pass data between the two PLCs.

Okay, we have about 11 HMIs and as for the CPU on the 90-70 i'm not sure off the top of my head, they were all installed back in 98. I know when converting from GE to AB there is a function in RSlinx that you can use to do it in. But all my GE coms are serial to TCP/IP.

GE was slow to adopt TCP/IP in the 90-70 line. If you have an Ethernet module in any of the 90-70s that dates back to the time when they were new don't assume it will be plug-n-play with current defaults.
To act as a bridge between the two PLCs the HMI will need multiple ports, have support for different protocols on each port, and have scripting capabilities.
I don't know anything about any tools in RSLinx to facilitate communications with any non-AB products.

What CPU in the 90-70? What other communications modules are present?
You'll probably have to go with Modbus as the protocol, either Modbus RTU over a serial link or Modbus TCP over an Ethernet link.
If there is an HMI installed already on the 90-70 system look into using it as the bridge to pass data between the two PLCs.
You can have Modbus serial communications between a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 and one of the ports in an IC697CMM711 communications coprocessor. I haven't tried the two together but have used both separately. Both support RS232 or RS485 connections and master or slave operation. Either way, you will need to build a custom cable. I recommend using the ML as master mainly because I find A-B MSG instructions easier to program than GE COMM_REQ. One caveat is that GE CMM modules in Modbus slave mode map 0x coils to GE %Q coils. %M coils are not available.

Now back to the ProSoft MNETC and some fussy devices...

I've done something similar, but I used a Red Lion DSPLE to do the conversions. And tried to do it otherwise, and this was my final fix.