Changing firmware of L61, CNBR, ENBT, and 1757 SRM.

Dogar

Dear experts,

In order to eliminate a fault in my system I want to change the firmware of following modules in 1756 Controllogix Standard redundancy system:

L61: from 7.1 to 16.057
CNBR D-Type: from 7.1 to 7.016
CNBR E-Type: from 11.1 to 11.005
ENBT/A: from 3.1 to 6.006
1757-SRM: 5.004

Although I have never worked with PLC before but I have read a lot of manuals and so i do have a little information on how to do things but as the system is critical and I can't afford any mistake I need advice from you guys regarding the proper and complete procedure to do the above mentioned activity. Kindly tell me if I will be required to take backup for controlnet and Ethernet scheduled files by rsnetworks or not? and what precautions should i take? and what possibly can do wrong and how to handle the worst case senario? I would be having maximum of 5 hours to do all of the above mentioned activity.

If the system is truly critical and you cannot afford mistakes, you need to hire somebody with experience in ControlLogix Redundancy systems to troubleshoot the original problem and/or install the upgrade.

While I encourage novice users to strive to learn, ControlLogix Redundancy can be challenging even for experienced ControlLogix users. An engineer who has no PLC experience at is not qualified to perform this work no matter what his or her attitude and intelligence.

The firmware revisions you've described are all correct according to the ControlLogix Standard Redundancy Kit 16.057 release notes, publication 1756-RM628.

In general, the steps are going to be to:

1. Upload and save the ControlLogix program.
2. Convert the ControlLogix program to Version 16 in RSLogix 5000.
3. Use ControlFlash software to load new firmware into all of the modules.
I recommend removing the Redundancy modules from the system and upgrading them in a chassis with nothing but an Ethernet module. You don't want the Redundancy Modules attempting to make connections to the controllers and network modules during the upgrade.
4. Download the new program into the Primary chassis.
5. Schedule the ControlNet network with RSNetworx for ControlNet software.
6. Configure the Redundancy Modules using the SRM Configuration Tool that is bundled with the Redundancy Firmware.

I figured that OP was simply mis-typing the version of the 1756-L61 controller, since the "7.1" cited is the version of his ControlNet modules.

Thankyou

Dear Ken,

I have nailed the fault and to eradicate it i must install those upgrades into the system. Well, thanx for the warning of what might go wrong as the system is critical and it would befall wrath of management on me if I somehow don't manage to bring things to norm after updating/upgrading.

But I really need to do it on my own for the sake of learning and confidence without making any mistakes.

I need to clear a few more things.
1) If my controller catalog number and FW version burned on it by factory was 17.1, can it be downgraded to 16.057 by using controlflash?Moreover, I have installed both Rslogix5k versions 16 and 17 but when in RSlogix I open controller properties it shows only 17.1 revision and none other.

2) Do I have to change the FW revisions in Rslogix5k as well after updating the FW revisions by using controlflash? or it will be automatically done?

3) For the purpose of backup, how to upload controlnet scheduled files via rsnetworx to my laptop if I don't have them? ( I was unable to get it via manuals)

I am really thankful to you for your timely reply and instructions.

Theoretically, you could downgrade an L61 from 17.1 to 16.057; practically though, CPU firmware downgrades could lead to numerous system issues; it's your call after all.
16.057 is Standard Redundancy firmware and your choice is probably dictated by presence of the 1757-SRM Redundancy Module, which, by the way, has been Silver Series since 2010..
If I was you, I would get rid of the SRM and replace it with a modern 1756-RM or 1756-RM2 Redundancy module and try downgrading the CPU to an Enhanced Redundancy Firmware such as 16.081 if 19.052 is too much of a leap.

Answers to your questions:

1. The Redundancy Firmware of the CPU processor does not become a choice when creating a new RSL5K project until you Check the Redundancy Enabled checkbox when adding the processor and the proper Major software revision(matching the chosen Major Firmware revision- Redundant or not); once Redundancy is enabled within the application file and the CPU is ControlFlash-ed to a Redundant Firmware you're good to go.

2. The RSL5k software Major revision needs to match the CPU Major Firmware revision for anything "older" than 19 (including) and "newer" than 24 (including); the software revision is never automatically updated; yes, you will have to manually change the project's CPU firmware revision presuming the proper software revision level is installed and functional.

3. Any Logix system RSNetWorx for ControlNet schedule file could be uploaded from the ControlNet network Keeper device (the lowest configured Node Number).

Are you sure that there's Version 17 firmware in the existing controller ?

There is no Version 17 Redundancy firmware for ControlLogix, so a change from non-redundant V17 firmware to a V16.57 Standard Redundancy system is a major change in functionality and complexity.

You've gotten some good advice about how to change the revisions of the firmware in the RSLogix 5000 software so that it can support Redundancy.

In general the ControlNet configuration doesn't need to be uploaded and saved, because it will need to be re-calculated for the new system anyhow.

Instead, make a note of any ControlNet Network settings for repeaters or delays, and do an ordinary "go online, enable edits, Save Network" process to schedule the ControlNet network.

To be certain what revision of controller is running in your system, browse to it with RSLinx Classic software and right-click on the CPU, selecting "Device Properties". Be sure you're looking at the 1756-L61 controller, not at the network modules or I/O modules.

Last edited:
Sorry I need to do the following updates:

1756- L61/A: from 16.054 to 16.057
CNBR D-Type: from 7.012 to 7.016
CNBR E-Type: from 11.01 to 11.005
ENBT: from 3.1 to 6.006
1757-SRM: 4.3 to 5.004.

Previously, I was looking for the revision in RSlogix5k

There is no 5.004 firmware for the 1757-SRM; only 5.010 for both A and B series.
16.054 (I didn't know about it)to 16.057 for the L61 controller shouldn't be an issue since it is an upgrade.

See attachment for your choices' compatibility.

In the manual where my updates are recommended there is something about EDS files. Can you guys tell me what are EDS files used for? and why should i need to install them if I perform the updates?