View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #11
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Not thorough enough!...

Forgive me. I made a mistake on what you needed to do here...

I had pulled up an example using POINT I/O for screenshots and then got lost in how you would setup a 1769-ADN in the same way you would setup a 1734-ADN. They are completely different setups. I should have, as I normally do, double-checked the necessary steps and then I would have remembered the difference.

The Device Bridging feature is only available for the 1734/1738-ADN adapters.

The 1769-ADN is indeed configured directly under the 1769-SDN scanner within the same DNT file. Apologies again for the misdirection, but at least you learnt a little if you ever have to do similar with POINT I/O.

Your attached PDFs are well structured showing you have a good grasp of what you are about so I don't think I need to do the same as above again for the correct steps to take.

The key here is the data mapping in the 1769-SDN scanner's scanlist for the 1769-ADN adapter before and after. As you can see you had 60 bytes and now have 64 bytes input data. You payed good attention to the Advanced Mapping Offset and Bit length before proceeding. But, you also have to pay attention to where the 60 bytes ends and whether there is free space to append the extra 4 bytes contiguously.

Because, looking at your network, the adapter is node 2 and there appears to be a node 3, and so on, sometimes the next node's mapped data is contiguous with the last node's mapped data and so there is no spare room to add new data in between.

In your case, even though there appears to be nodes after the node 2 adapter in the network, they have not been added to the scanner's scanlist yet and so their data has not yet been mapped, I think? This means you have all free space directly after your node 2 adapter's mapped data and could simply append the extra 4 bytes to the end. So it worked out well for you in this case. Had node 3 and the others already been mapped then it could have been a different story.

If you have free space after the last node's mapped data then you can manually drill down to the new device's instance and enter the offset and bit length that would add it at the end of all mapped data.

You can also now see at the end of the adapter's mapped data the assigned Controller Tag address for your new input module's 32 inputs...

1:I.Data[49] bits 0 - 31

Drilling down to a device in the Input or Output tab in a scanner's scanlist is how you would find any mapped data's Controller Tag reference.

All that is of course not helping you, just explaining it a little bit more.

When you are onsite you can go online to the network and do a network upload and save it as a backup DNT file in case you need to revert.

Whether you can upload the EDS file directly from a device depends entirely on the device in question. Some do provide it, some don't. Perhaps it would be a good time to give us the exact make/model of the devices (pumps/valves) so we can help you make sure you have the correct EDS files?

You have two errors...

The DNET:000B "not registered" error means you do not have the correct EDS files registered for those devices. Again, providing us the make/model might help narrow this one down.

The second error...

DNET:0020 "different applet" could just be a knock on effect of the first error but it is also possible there is a problem with your EDS system. Now would also be a good time to tell us which versions of RSLinx Classic and RSNetWorx for DeviceNet you are using?

I'm also concerned about the earlier mention of the software running under Grace Period. Is it licensed and just missing its hardware Host ID such as a USB licensing Dongle? Or has it just been installed without a license?

If it becomes unusable before you do this mod then you'll have bigger problems ahead.

Regards,
George

Last edited by Geospark; April 15th, 2016 at 12:43 PM.