PLC Ethernet/IP Network Layout Suggestions

alexbeatle

Hello, folks.
Looking for suggestions on network layout.
I'm designing 3 stations with 6 pieces of conveyor on each. They are part of the same system so will share a PLC. Thinking this way.
Station:
#1. PLC, Local IO, 6x VFDs
#2. Remote IO, 6x VFDs
#3. Remote IO, 6x VFDs

RemoteIO is for sensors and buttons. VFDs are for the conveyor motors.

I think I'm gonna go with Rockwell - ControlLogix, PointIO, and PowerFlex525.

Problem(-ish): The stations are not very close to each other. So in order for all to communicate, I'd need to install an Ethernet switch at station #1 and then run 7 Ethernet cables (PointIO + 6x VFDs) to station #2 and 7 Ethernet cables (PointIO + 6x VFDs) to station #3.
Could anybody please suggest a more elegant solution?
Thanks in advance.

The 6x VFDs and remote IO in #2, how far are they from each other? Same for the #3?

If these devices support two Ethernet ports and they are Rockwell devices, the device is itself a switch so you can daisy chain them.

But if the LAN cable needs to be longer than 100 mts you will need to put some switch in between. Also, is any of these segments going outise the building? In this case some fiber optic converter would be a good advice to protect against lighting? I think we need more details in terms of which kind of EtherNet/IP devices, whether they are industrial grade, distances, etc., so that more meaningful advice can be provided.

#1.
Switch with Fiber interface
Ethernet cable for PLC, Local IO and 6x VFDs
|
Fiber
|
#2.
Ethernet cable for Remote IO and 6x VFDs
|
Fiber
|
#3.
|
Fiber - return to #1. for ring connection (separate cable)

Switch
https://www.moxa.com/en/products/in...ches/layer-2-managed-switches/eds-516a-series

Safe and solid solution ��

Last edited:
#1.
Ethernet cable for PLC, Local IO and 6x VFDs
|
Fiber
|
#2.
|
Fiber
|
#3.
|
Fiber - return to #1. for ring connection (separate cable)

Switch
https://www.moxa.com/en/products/in...ches/layer-2-managed-switches/eds-516a-series

Safe and solid solution ��

This looks awesome! Why fiber instead of copper though?

When using fiber cable, you are not locked by the length of Ethernet cables and you do not have to take into account an electrical potential difference that may exist between boards.

VDFs can generate electrical noise and this is not carried around the entire system when using fiber. Long Ethernet cables can also be a problem in terms of electrical noise, so always use as short cables as possible and always shielded cables.

DLR is only useful if you have several IO modules where you get a ring connection at the IO level. In the solution I have proposed, there is a ring connection between switches, so there is a high uptime on the connection to these.

The Moxa switch Supports EtherNet/IP and Modbus TCP protocols for device management and monitoring.

I don't think any Moxa switch supports DLR, turbo ring etc is a different technology.

When using fiber cable, you are not locked by the length of Ethernet cables and you do not have to take into account an electrical potential difference that may exist between boards.

VDFs can generate electrical noise and this is not carried around the entire system when using fiber. Long Ethernet cables can also be a problem in terms of electrical noise, so always use as short cables as possible and always shielded cables.

DLR is only useful if you have several IO modules where you get a ring connection at the IO level. In the solution I have proposed, there is a ring connection between switches, so there is a high uptime on the connection to these.

The Moxa switch Supports EtherNet/IP and Modbus TCP protocols for device management and monitoring.

So I will not be able to replace the PointIO with the ArborBlock I/O configured in DLR?

DLR is AB's protocol to monitor network health and if setup properly will tell you when a node is not responding. you can include NON-DLR components but they cant be back to back.

you need to make the decision if you are going fiber or ethernet because that will dictate component selection.

i used these on a project, they do media conversion and support DLR
https://hirschmann.com/en/Hirschman...hernet/Hirschmann_RED25_Switches_/index.phtml

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at007_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Personally, I want to go fiber. Many Reasons - no cross talk, electrical isolation, longer length, etc.

My concern is that in case of damaged fiber cable, maintenance will not know what to do -> downtime. With copper, just replace it.

Has anybody worked with the https://paigedatacom.com/gamechanger? Claims to have limit of 250m, instead of regular Ethernet cable - 100m.

I'm considering Stratix 5700 switches. They are quite versatile. Also have combo ports, which I can configure for copper or fiber. Has anybody had issues with these?

if the process is of high importance, pull spare fiber lines during construction and/or have spare cables made and stored in the event something is damaged.