Panelview Plus Firmware problem

ElectricFreak

Hi All, I was in process of updating my Panelview Plus 600 to the latest Firmware, when someone shut off the power.

Now the unit will not boot up due to missing files, and it brings up the screen to download new firmware.

However, when I try to do the upgrade it says there is not enough memory. I am not able to get into where I can delete anything. I deleted all the runtime files and logs before starting the upgrade.

I tried several different ways, but it looks like the only thing to do is find a flashing program that can force overwrite whats in there now.

Does anyone know of a way to access the BIOS on these things?
I really hate to send it in to Rockwell for $900, when it just needs the BIOS flashed.

Thanks in advance!

There's a technote #41892 at ab.com that may apply (techconnect acess required).

It says one workaround is to use a CF card to perform the upgrade. Also, the note says that you can have this problem because the wrong panelview terminal type is selected under "Existing Terminal Type" in the Create firmware upgrade card options, even though it may be greyed out if you're using the wizard to send the firmware directly.

Since your upgrade failed part way through, I would suggest trying to use a CF card to perform the upgrade. I believe the steps are fairly straightforward, although I have not used that method personally.

Thanks for the reply's.
I have tried the CF card. got the same "not enough memory" error.
I also tried a lower firmware version, as they are smaller.
it was closer to working, with v3? as it lists the memory available vs memory needed.
I will look into the bitcopy software, tomorrow if I get time and post the results.

Randy:
Did you use the bit copy software on a Panelview Plus 600?
If so, could you please elaborate a little more?
I could see how that would work on say a 700 or higher, as they have built in CF cards.
My PV+600 does not have a built in CF card. :(

Everyone please note the PV600+ does not have an internal flash card like the 700's and up. whatever memory it has is soldered onto the mainboard.
Wishing I had went with 700's right now.....

This happened to me with a panel view plus 1500! Solution: Press the small reset button in the back and quickly press the default button after the terminal restarts but before any error messages. The boot menu should open and you can select Factory Defaults...

Read this thread on PV plus firmware - there could be incompatibility issues

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=68338

Notes from Ken Roach:

PV+ v6 hardware and application compatibility: Knowledgebase Article ID #116376

PV+ Display Module compatibility with PV+ v6 Logic Modules: Knowledgebase Article ID #115612

In short, some of the newer PV+ v5.x display modules can be connected to a PV+ v6 logic module because they use the same newer 8-wire touchscreen interface circuitry.

This is for the PV+ 700/1000/1250/1500 terminals (the only ones for which there is a V6 version) because the Logic Module and Display Module connect with just six screws. The older, smaller PV+ 600/400 terminals are unitary design.

Regards
_______