Allen Bradley SLC 5/01 CPU FAULT

SouthPahw

SLC 5/01 CPU Fault light Flashes, get on-line and it is a
Major Error Halt S:1/3=1
Module (CPU) in slot 0 Wrong Type for User Program.
Major Error S:6=54h
Radix: Structured
Processor Type: 1747-L514 Ser. B 5/01 CPU 4k memory
Serial # L514-0891N1201 frn 4
2446 Instruction Words Left
History: This was an older program developed with APS most likely. I uploaded with RSLogix500 and worked the program over for several hours, downloading and uploading several changes. After program tweaking completed, It ran with no issues for approximately 30 days. And then the CPU Fault.

I can clear the Fault, but concerned it will reappear, and this is not a local customer. Sent PLC in to me to look at problem. Any suggestions?

maybe dumb question, is it possible that it was off for a while or had the power cycled improperly and then loaded from a memory module that has a different program? bit of a stretch.

I admit, I am no AB expert, but don't believe there is a EEProm, only the CPU memory. Also, the Customer said it was running along and he went to manual and made some adjustment and then it just stopped.
I don't see any program errors or codes to see that direction. Just what I listed. But Thanks for the suggestion.

The SLC-500 Modular Hardware Style User Manual has good diagrams of what the EEPROM module socket looks like on the various 5/0x controllers.

This sounds to me like a damaged backplane. The SLC backplane provides a way for the controller to regularly check the ID codes of the modules installed, and when the backplane has been damaged you'll sometimes get a "module mismatch" error. It's unusual for that error to point the finger at the CPU itself, but I've seen it where it pointed to Slot 1 when in fact the defective slot was elsewhere (and was interfering with the slot number data bus lines).

"Separate and run" is the best way to diagnose an issue like this: load the original controller with a test program and put it into a test chassis to get some runtime. Load a new controller and send it to the customer.

Worst case scenario: The new controller faults at the customer site, proving the controller is not the problem. Send them the original CPU and a new chassis and power supply.

Best case scenario: The original controller faults in the test rack and the replacement one keeps running at the customer site. Trash the old one and invoice the customer for the new one.

Of course this depends on you having spare controllers and racks and time, but it's faster than replacing the CPU, the backplane, the power supply, and then every I/O module in sequence.

If it were me, I would replace a 5/01 with a modern SLC-5/03, 8K model. They're available new and are easier to re-load (because they have an RS-232 port) and the price difference is minimal compared to most downtime events.

Ken, great advice, I have done that with other older PLC types.
("Separate and run" is the best way to diagnose an issue like this: load the original controller with a test program and put it into a test chassis to get some runtime. Load a new controller and send it to the customer.")
I had already left the unit in a test rack on all night, thus far. There is no EEPROM, just Flash Memory.

("If it were me, I would replace a 5/01 with a modern SLC-5/03, 8K model. They're available new and are easier to re-load (because they have an RS-232 port)")
Currently I am using the USB Pic which has the DH485/Cat5 Connection to PLC. Going to the SLC-5/03 8K model, what are the key points I would need to look at for the change over; I.E. RS-232 (Cable specific?) Program/Configuration differences to account for? I will/can look at the manuals, but would be nice to have a heads up as not to overlook something.
Thanks again.

EEPROM, UVPROM, memory module, flash memory. these are all terms for modular non-volatile memory back-up. SLC 5/01 and 5/02 has a space on the slot for these add-ons, except for flash which wasn't available till 5/03. You are that the fault you have is not this, more like a back plane problem as Ken said. More to your problem though, if your customer is against upgrades and you have a need for a 5/01 cpu, I have four 5/01's frn 6, about 80 I/O modules, and 4 and 7 slot racks. Most of these are new in the box, our old parts guy had an itchy trigger finger.

The SLC-5/03 is a direct replacement for the 5/01 or 5/02; its feature set includes everything in those controllers.

Since you do have a 1747-UIC there's less pressure to have and ordinary DF1 port.... you'll see on the Forum the hundreds of times the weaknesses of the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver have been explained.

The serial port on the 5/03 uses a null-modem cable (the 1747-CP3 is popular) and the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx. Very straightforward.

I realize that 5/01 and 5/02 controllers are cheap on the aftermarket (and maybe RA is still building the 5/02) but I don't like to promote them because they're moderately difficult to connect to with modern computers.

"(Since you do have a 1747-UIC there's less pressure to have and ordinary DF1 port.... you'll see on the Forum the hundreds of times the weaknesses of the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver have been explained.")
...been there, went thru those issues and it was ugly for awhile...

Just to confirm terms, the Backplane, board and Rack are one in the same? I currently have a 10-Slot and is full. I believe the best idea is to go with the new/replacement Rack, I/O and 5/03.

I am also using the DH485 Connection to a C-More Panel, which means I will have to reconfigure that?
Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Since upgrading CPU appears to be the best direction at this time, I am using a full 10-Slot Rack, what are the options to including an Ethernet Connection and connectivity via the web? Expansion Rack and Ethernet Card, or is it time to change over to something which would be more upgradeable and friendly?
Once again, I appreciate the help, experience and advice. Thanks.

Since upgrading CPU appears to be the best direction at this time, I am using a full 10-Slot Rack, what are the options to including an Ethernet Connection and connectivity via the web? Expansion Rack and Ethernet Card, or is it time to change over to something which would be more upgradeable and friendly?
Once again, I appreciate the help, experience and advice. Thanks.

With the SLC500 Controllers, your only choice is upgrading to a SLC5/05. It has an EtherNet Port, and an RS-232 Port. If you still need the DH-485, will need a converter such as the 1761-NET-AIC RS-232 to RS-485 Converter.

Stu....