Micro 800 (810) install

brucechase

I just had the perfect opportunity for using a Micro810 over the weekend. We had a Fuji Timery Power programmable relay bite the dust and no one around here has the software, cable, or a spare relay. I called my AB distributor and had them send me over a Micro810. I thought I would give my impressions of this little thing.

One thing to note is that I am running Windows XP SP2. The CCW software did not automatically load on my computer so I had to force it. After downloading the software, I had to drill down into the folders to the CCW setup file. Double clicking on that did work, but I had to install several other components. Since we still have real old AB devices here, I haven’t been able to upgrade the software yet. Due to the slow internet connection, download and install time was about 4 hours.

RSLinx needs to be 2.57 – I was running 2.54. Now none of the other processors show up in my backup file that I saved before I upgraded. My browse files also look different for some reason. Everything shows up as non recognized device. I did load all the EDS files, but I am unsure of why this happened. Also, all my Ethernet drivers were duplicated. This is something that I will have to look at later.

One important note that I fully accepted when I bought this thing is that there is a bug in the firmware that shuts down the process every 49 days. It will need a firmware update that should be available for download next week (before the 49th day). As long as power is cycled to the unit before the 49 days is up, the counter starts over. This was something I accepted to get this installed this weekend before we started back up again.

Programming was a slight challenge. There is not much in the way of help files or resources to look at. A call to the AB tech support is a gamble. My one question (about wiring) took almost 45 minutes to answer.
Programming is not like the 500 software – it is more like 5000 software (tag based). One of the biggest challenges I had was the time base of timers. Most examples showed seconds and I wanted milliseconds. Other than that, some weird like if changed an alias, I had to do some things like open the tag and change an attribute and change it back to get it to show. The block instruction has some very powerful instructions ranging from ASCII to PID controls. The instructions also include system variables that can be used in the program.

Hooking up the USB adapter and the cable to my computer brought up the driver in RSlinx without any configuration. I chose it and the 810 showed up immediately. Download was very quick and went without problems. The front screen shows the I/O status by default so it was easy to see what was going on.

The saved file size is huge! It takes up about 2.7MB in the folder. Poking through all the files shows an access database called PrjLibrary that is 2.5MB. I assume this is used for the creation and development and isn’t downloaded to the relay.

My little 8 rung program took about 2 hours to write due mostly to not knowing the instruction set and how to move things about. After my initial try, this should be real easy. Anyone who has done any programming at all should pick this up pretty quickly. There doesn’t seem to be any type of online monitoring which I think would be needed for PID tuning or motion. Maybe the higher versions have it or I just haven’t clicked on the right button yet.

It would be great to see some others of these in service or at an automation fair or lab. I pick up more by seeing what other people have done versus just reading over a help file. I’ll post my small program for anyone who wants to see it.

micro810.jpg

Thanks for posting your first impressions of this device, Bruce !

I was all ready to buy several of the bigger 830's but the firmware bug caused a stop order while RA flash upgrades all of their stock, and the shipment delay puts me past my machine construction window, so I have to switch to MicroLogix.

I am surprised that there is not an online monitor mode. Maybe this is a limitation of the 810 unit, or maybe I just made an unsupported assumption about the controller.

One thing I am very interested in is whether the rung comments are actually stored in the controller. The user manual says they are, but I haven't verified it directly.

I'm suprized you got anyone from Englewood on a weekend. I used to live and work in Augusta.
I'm glad to hear someone had tried the Micro. The AB rep down here talked about them but has not recieved any yet. I am looking forward to try one as I'm doing inactivity controls for quite a few machines and from what I hear these things are real cheap and the Micrologix 1000 is being phased out. Not sure why they would do that but if I can get these for less than $100 they will work perfect. I can say that I won't get any until the firmware issues are worked out as I am looking to expand my plant into a 24-7 operation so I couldn't live with the 49 day shutdown.

Is it true that AB is giving the software for free? If so is it just a download or do you have to install from CD?

I'm suprized you got anyone from Englewood on a weekend. I used to live and work in Augusta.
Where did you work at? I actually ordered this on a Friday so I didn't have to worry about the weekend, but my dealings with Englewood has usually been great - even on weekends. There has been some changes in the sales force though.

I'm glad to hear someone had tried the Micro..... Not sure why they would do that but if I can get these for less than $100 they will work perfect. I can say that I won't get any until the firmware issues are worked out as I am looking to expand my plant into a 24-7 operation so I couldn't live with the 49 day shutdown.

Cost was about $85. I ordered the USB adapter - you will definately need at least 1 for $30 and the LCD/Memory Backup for $40. If you are going to have the same program in all of them, this looks like a way to download to multiple units (but I only have one so I can't confirm). You don't need the LCD on each unit. The firmware issues are supposedly fixed. AB didn't want to give me one with the old firmware, but I had to have it so I take all the responsibility.

Is it true that AB is giving the software for free? If so is it just a download or do you have to install from CD?
Yep, the software is Connected Components Workbench and it is a free download from the AB site right now or you can order the CD. It is close to 1GB in size though and it looks to be the version that also does the Panelview Component line.

Thanks for posting your first impressions of this device, Bruce !

I was all ready to buy several of the bigger 830's but the firmware bug caused a stop order while RA flash upgrades all of their stock, and the shipment delay puts me past my machine construction window, so I have to switch to MicroLogix.

I am surprised that there is not an online monitor mode. Maybe this is a limitation of the 810 unit, or maybe I just made an unsupported assumption about the controller.

One thing I am very interested in is whether the rung comments are actually stored in the controller. The user manual says they are, but I haven't verified it directly.

They said that they could ship the 810 in less than 2 weeks but I couldn't wait.
The 810 doesn't have an "online" monitor mode other than the LCD as far as I can tell. I tried to make a change to the program with the LCD and I don't think I will ever try that again.

Not sure how to verify the comments are in the controller since I have the software that wrote. I might try to load it on a different computer and see if I can see the comments. All I have to do is find another laptop.

Last edited:
Flash upgrade available

Just got a message from my local AB guys that the flash upgrade for the 810 and 830 is available on the Rockwell website.

I worked for Boral Bricks and Castleberry while in Augusta. But that has been 4 years ago. I'm now in Pineville, La. I am going to be buying at least 40 of these the program will be basically the same just may have different addresses. I was going to use micrologix 1000 until my AB rep told me about the micro 800 I still am amazed the AB will "give" anything away.

Glad to hear it's all working for you. This has to be more friendly than the Pico. I never cared for them.

By the way where do you work in Augusta?

I worked for Boral Bricks and Castleberry while in Augusta. But that has been 4 years ago. I'm now in Pineville, La. I am going to be buying at least 40 of these the program will be basically the same just may have different addresses. I was going to use micrologix 1000 until my AB rep told me about the micro 800 I still am amazed the AB will "give" anything away.

Glad to hear it's all working for you. This has to be more friendly than the Pico. I never cared for them.

Software for the ML1000 ( and ML1100) is also free.

http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

I worked for Boral Bricks and Castleberry while in Augusta. But that has been 4 years ago. I'm now in Pineville, La. ...

I used to know a guy at Boral Bricks (Nathan) who left there about 4 years ago. I miss Castleberry though - I loved their hotdog chilli.

Currently working at a medical supplier (Covidien). It has been several plants over the years.

Hi Bruce,

Are you working for yourself now? hope all is good....
Im going to start back on the analog tomorrow

No, I never took the plunge to go independant. Too much worries with insurance and stuff. If the wife had a job with benefits to take care of the kids, I might have considered it more. I will probably regret that later on, but for now the family is first.

Good luck on the analog. I haven't tried that, but I asked AB the question about wiring because terminal 3 is -com and terminal 8 is -24VDC. I wanted to make sure that if I was using all digital I needed a -24VDC to terminal 3 (which after 45 minutes they did confirm).

I know the feeling I loved the hot dog chilli too.
You probably knew Nathan Harrington. Last I heard he went to Texas to be a plant manager but they closed down the plant so I don't know what he is doing now.

I know the feeling I loved the hot dog chilli too.
You probably knew Nathan Harrington. Last I heard he went to Texas to be a plant manager but they closed down the plant so I don't know what he is doing now.

That's him. He lived across the street from me for a few years. All I remember is that they worked him like a dog (or at least that was his excuse for not being home:confused:.

Not sure if you've figured this out yet or not but you can go monitor the processor live. You first have to go online with it (click on the processor in the upper right corner and you should see a pic of the processor. Among other things this is where you should see a "connect" button or "disconnect" if you're already connected. If you are connected, go to the "Debug" button or use the "F5" button on your keyboard. "Shift-F5" ends debugging. Not sure why AB decided to call it that. Took me several hours to figure it out.

micro810

We are trying to implement them here at Livingston Ca chicken land also. Here is a pict of a trainer we put together. Not much in terms of training resources, just a small utube stop light series. Anyone know of other Connected components workbench training aids out there.

IMAG1196.jpg