Multimeter.....Daily carry.

I've got a couple of cheap brands that I'll carry to installations and if I lose it or it grows legs, no great loss. I pretty happy with this kit, got to have that magnetic hanger:
Fluke 116/323
41m8Dd7fEFL.jpg

I just lick my fingers and give the wires a touch.

You laugh... I knew a guy that did this back in the 80's, we worked for International Paper on nights, I carried my Wiggy and he had his fingers, he would just hit the terminal or wires with a swipe of his hand, NUTS!

That was the worst time I was ever hit hard by a shock and it was 120v, I was working on a paper jogger machine, it had two aluminium handles and a shorted broken limit switch... I got down on my knees to look under the table and proceeded to move the two aluminium handles into position, when I did this one of the handles hit the 120 and I could not not go of the handles no matter what I did, it had a hold of me and locked my muscles until my partner unplugged the machine and I was not little boy, I was deadlifting and squats over 500lbs and had 19 inch biceps but its amazing what just 120 volts can do

They never let me live that down, just glad no one had cell phones back then as im sure they would've made a video :)

You laugh... I knew a guy that did this back in the 80's, we worked for International Paper on nights, I carried my Wiggy and he had his fingers, he would just hit the terminal or wires with a swipe of his hand, NUTS!

That was the worst time I was ever hit hard by a shock and it was 120v, I was working on a paper jogger machine, it had two aluminium handles and a shorted broken limit switch... I got down on my knees to look under the table and proceeded to move the two aluminium handles into position, when I did this one of the handles hit the 120 and I could not not go of the handles no matter what I did, it had a hold of me and locked my muscles until my partner unplugged the machine and I was not little boy, I was deadlifting and squats over 500lbs and had 19 inch biceps but its amazing what just 120 volts can do

They never let me live that down, just glad no one had cell phones back then as im sure they would've made a video :)

That is nuts. There must have been some coils energized in that circuit. I think the worst for me was when I was seeing if I had voltage to a PSU in a dilapidated machine. It was a ground beef portioning machine, usually called a "stuffer". The terminals were wet and I got zapped with about 260V from the transformer. Luckily, it wasn't across my chest.

As far as my statement up above, do I carry a dummy stick, and use it, but if I don't have one I absolutely will test in the manner you described. I'm one of those people that isn't terribly effected by shock. Unless it is across my chest I just shake it off. That doesn't mean I'm reckless, I've just seen small zaps that wouldn't make me think twice cause others to have muscle spasms and such.

Fluke 289 and 376 stays in my service bag. Siglent 3065X on my desk.

I have a real love / hate relationship with the 289. Keeping my eye out for a deal on a 376 FC as I would really like the logging capability. I've been doing a lot more R&D as of the last 2 years, much of which is battery based systems, so logging has become an important thing. I'm likely going to switch over mostly to Keysight (unless I can find some Agilent before the buyout). Their logging system is *incredible*.

Original 87 as well as an 88. A pair of old 36 and 336's.

Just ordered two dirt cheap meters on Amazon to try out for kicks and grins, as they have bluetooth logging and are reportedly quite accurate. These are only ever getting used with DC current shunts and under 40v DC systems, so I'm not incredibly concerned about them blowing up in my hands.

The magnet hanger is a must have if you work in the field.

But check for your daily real needs to avoid going fancy with a tool at risks. The one that you may break will be that one, more than the one that stay at the desk...

I have had a few that have been company supplied so they were Fluke. so have killed a 25 which are supposed to be waterproof, well they couldn't even handle lots of water coming down in a shaft sinking job. 87 well that died in a hard environment also underground, the 25 was sinking a hole so that was underground as well but to the extreme. So admittedly this is a PLC forum were ultimately unlike you guys might possible think the meters don't really get a hard time, l would suggest, unless someone else is paying don't buy Fluke, buy anything that is rated at true cat 4 600/cat 3 1000v and you shouldn't go wrong.

So admittedly this is a PLC forum were ultimately unlike you guys might possible think the meters don't really get a hard time

Man I wish someone told my customers that.... yesterday in a feed mill 120deg and humid not to talk about the fine dust that was raining down on me and my laptop, luckily I was only there for two hours, I feel for the guys I was working with and the worst thing was the flies, I could not do it for 12hrs a day

I just fixed my 87-5, the display was going out... im good for another 5 years on it :) I do have a 289 fvf and 789 (at the shop), its hard to beat a Fluke

l think you answered it with how long you were in the environment (flies, aren't the great the way they go for the moister in your eyes or ears), I agree Flukes are good/ best you can get, BUT they die like them all. So better off losing less money on similar rated meters

This seems to be a Fluke thread and I can't argue with that. I've got two 87 III's one of which I've had since 1985 (OMG! I'm getting old!) and it still goes strong. The only thing I like about the newer one (it's only 20 years old) over the older one is replacing the battery doesn't involve pulling the case apart. The only thing I don't like about either of them is there is no way to wrap the friken leads around the meter and have them line up with the holding spots on the back of the case.:mad:

The only thing I don't like about either of them is there is no way to wrap the friken leads around the meter and have them line up with the holding spots on the back of the case.:mad:

This drives me absolutely crazy! I have an 87-V and an extra small Klein multimeter that I keep in my tool bag and they both do this, as most multimeters I've used do. The person who designs a meter that it's possible to neatly wrap both leads and have them securely sit in the slots on the back should get a Nobel Prize.

i thought when you wrap the leads individually opposite to each other it wasn't a prob, just wasn't so easy as wrapping them both the same way.

The recommendation is to unplug them... I only do that when I am switching ports or changing style of leads