STL Siemens Tutorials

toddp65

Hi all

I have a large brewery system that is coded completely in step 7 STL (and in German) and besides the standard STL cheatsheet, are there any other tutorials/resources online to help learn this code?
It almost seems like a dying language--all the rest of our machines, etc, are programmed with either AB or Siemens ladder but I need to get familiar with this language.

Thanks!

The programming manual has some examples at the end of it and can be handy for detailed reference.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/45523446

Also both STL cheat sheets are handy to have (can be found by googling). I believe one is alphabetical and the other is grouped by function.

Another great way to learn is to write some programs in LAD (or FBD) and toggle it to STL to see how it translates.

One last thing to attempt is to try changing the language to LAD (just in case the created language was setup as STL and your system is setup to open it in the created language) Shot in the dark but might work based on programming.

Hi Todd
I've spent a lot of my life doing Siemens STL so if you need some code translation I might be able to help but my German isn't so hot!! Shame I'm in the wrong country, sounds like an interesting project - breweries can be interesting!!

This is where I went to start wrapping my head around STL.

Hey Bubba, Siemens STL is not Structured Text

Todd, check YouTube there are a lot of people that have tutorials, here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ArBQr-ggA

For me the way I did it... if your STL can not be converted, open a blank project and copy the STL to the blank and then convert it, you may have to add something to allow the logic to be converted, cant help with the German but Google is getting better, all of our equipment was made in Germany so everything was also either wrote in broken English or German.

Anyone looking to learn ST this is a great set of videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiYZ5ZmsWX0

And this is why Bubba usually sits quietly in the corner. šŸ™ƒ
Thanks for the info. Learning something new made it worth getting up today.

Bubba.