can anybody help me about the addressing of PLc of Allen Bradley?

ronpittc

Hi there, i just started with this PLC and the system that they have in my company is a Allen Bradley(Rockwell software). I understand on how the system works, im pretty good in ladder diagrams.... the problem is i dont understand... the File Types such as bits, integers and other stuff....i dont know what applications and uses of them. and one more, the addressing... N9:22 what does that mean? please bear with me, im a beginner

You say "im pretty good in ladder diagrams". Is this 'electrical' ladder diagrams? Do you have any PLC knowledge? If not start with the tutorial at this site and with the Allen-Bradley look-alike tools at The Learning Pit . If you know other PLCs open RSLogix and go to the Help section and study 'Data Files'

Help is on the way!

You really need to go to Allen-Bradley's web site and click on manuals online. Find the user manual for the SLC 500 family or the PLC 5 family and download it. The answers to your concerns are in there. All the file types, addressing scheme and the like are explained very well. If you understand ladder logic from the old relay systems, then making the jump to PLCs is not a huge leap. To answer your question about
N9:22 what does that mean?
you will look in the manual you download under data table and you will find that:

N is an integer file type designation
9 is a file number that is associated with integer files in most SLC processors so N9 is a place to store integer, or whole, numbers in the range of -32768 to +32767.
The : is a seperator to tell the processor that a word in the N9 file is coming
22 is the 23rd register(the first one is 0)or file location in the N9 file.

Understanding the data table that Allen-Bradley uses in the SLC/PLC equipment will make your learning process go much smoother. If you have other questions after looking over the manual, just post them here. There are many experts who can fill in the blanks for you as you find them.

Last edited:
A-B PLC addressing

The best thing for you is to go to the Allen-Bradley "Manuals on line" and read up on addressing.
Then, if there is something that is not clear, post a question.
From reviewing your questions, you need to study more than addressing, you should read up on Words,Files & such data structures. Simply too much to cover in the Q&A forum but we can point you in the right direction.

Roger

welcome aboard ...

Even if you've got a PLC-5 system, start reading at Appendix E in:

the SLC-500 Instruction Set Reference Manual

It does a better job of explaining what you need to know about file addressing than the PLC-5 book -

Plus - in the future please tell us what model processor you're working with (PLC-5/20 ... SLC-5/04 ... MicroLogix 1000, etc.) - different models require different answers -

Help to make convertion

I need to convert a code from a micrologix 1200 for Step 7, and I would like to know if exist
a program for to convert code automatically or if someone can help me to make this convertion?