Keyence Safety Scanner Noise

Gadelric

Wizards,

It is amazing what you can find when you walk around an empty production floor.
During my daily wonder, I noticed that I have a few Keyence Safety Zone scanners that are making a horrible noise.
I reached out to Keyence, and they offered to set me up with a RMA to get them repaired, as needed.
I had another of this same model that got real loud and started to shake, causing the unit to fault the safety zone.
I sent it off to be repaired with the Keyence RMA, after the rep saw what the unit was doing. They returned the unit to me 3 weeks later stating they could not find anything wrong with the unit.
Now the scanners work just fine, but the noise coming from 3 of the 5 makes me worry that when we fire production back up they will want to fail.
The zone scanner is a SZ-V series unit.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated, I am at a loss as to why these are making so much noise and slightly shaking.

Gad

All of these units spin a mirror around at a fairly decent clip in order to project the laser into a plane. Some noise and vibration is to be expected, but it sounds like in your case they are imbalanced or a bearing has failed. I'd hold firm with the RMA request, or tell them that you'll be replacing them with SICK or Pilz units if they can't resolve the issue.

I got the scanner guy coming in Friday to look at them.
We will see what they say.
If I had just 1 having issues, I would replace just the one.
Being that I have 3 out of 5, that are about 2 years old, having issues.
I want to see what the rep has to say.
I have never had this issue with a sick eye, but this facility has a huge discount with Keyence, so Keyence it is.

We use quite a few of the SZ-V scanners on our machines and have not heard of anything like this. Granted, I work for an OEM with a pretty independent customer base so I may not have heard of these issues even if they did happen.

What kind of an environment and application are these being used in? I would agree with n55_6mt that is sounds like a bearing failure.

Keith

I have about 4 of these in our cell for about 18 months, and have not heard the noise you are referring to. Are these scanners in an area where people can accidentally hit / trip over it?

Are you able to upload a video and share? I would be very interested to see and hear the issue you are referring to.