Emerson to buy GE Intelligent Platforms

It appears that their Proficy Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) software is under the Intelligent Platform division. Not sure what else.

I found a GE Indian website listing iFix and their PLCs as part of intelligent platforms... I’m sure we’ll know more soon.

This doesn’t mean much, but is Emerson reasonable? Or are their produxts as bad or as expensive as GE’s?

Control tequniques products tend to be cheap, but I also know they have a line of scada software, and have been trying to buy Rockwell for years. Now they have a line of plcs and a mid range hmi package.

iFix, Proficy ME, Mark VIe, etc... this is one big transaction. One of the news site said 650 employees and 210 million revenue which doesn't sound right. I thought they are much bigger.

iFix, Proficy ME, Mark VIe, etc... this is one big transaction. One of the news site said 650 employees and 210 million revenue which doesn't sound right. I thought they are much bigger.

What gets me is the location. My understanding, from reading on the news and even on the iFix boxes is that iFix is developed in a Spanish named location in California, not in Charlottesvile, Virginia.

Although 650 employees does explain how iFix is so ****...

Control tequniques products tend to be cheap, but I also know they have a line of scada software, and have been trying to buy Rockwell for years. Now they have a line of plcs and a mid range hmi package.
Emerson sold off Control Techniques a couple of years ago now to Nidec of Japan. Nidec had perviously bought the US Motors line and the Cimtech Motion Control division from Emerson as well.

Emerson Delta V has always used iFix as the GUI in the background of their DCS, from back before GE bought Intellution, ironically from Emerson back in 2002. But I don’t think Emerson had much of an issue with it being owned by GE, meaning I don’t think they worried too much about GE being a serious threat to their DCS business. With ABB buying other big chunks of GE Industrial last year, I think it was an obvious move to protect themselves, because ABB is more of a direct competitive threat to Emerson in the DCS marketplace.

Last edited:
Emerson sold off Control Techniques a couple of years ago now to Nidec of Japan. Nidec had perviously bought the US Motors line and the Cimtech Motion Control division from Emerson as well.

Emerson Delta V has always used iFix as the GUI in the background of their DCS, from back before GE bought Intellution, ironically from Emerson back in 2002. But I don’t think Emerson had much of an issue with it being owned by GE, meaning I don’t think they worried too much about GE being a serious threat to their DCS business. With ABB buying other big chunks of GE Industrial last year, I think it was an obvious move to protect themselves, because ABB is more of a direct competitive threat to Emerson in the DCS marketplace.

My GE representative says there’s nothing to worry about as it was all related to the PLC line... either way, it also raises the question of whether GE is serious about maintaining iFix.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I've spoken with two reputable integrators and one says that iFix is not included and one says that it is included. Great. I emailed my contacts at Emerson and another iFix rep and I'm waiting to hear back.

As y'all have, I've found mixed information on the web whether Intelligent Platforms includes iFix or not.

I've got a larger customer base running iFix. Aside from folks that were already using iFix, I've been steering my customers clear of anything to do with GE. Too much uncertainty.

I am the furthest thing away from being a fan of Emerson. Blue? No thanks!

This is interesting.
You are perhaps the only person I know steering people away from iFix because of uncertainty. Most people complain about lack of quality.

The speculation I heard that makes sense to me is that Emerson is trying to fill the machine automation/motion control gap in its portfolio. Trying to acquire Rockwell recently targeted that same gap.

This is interesting.
You are perhaps the only person I know steering people away from iFix because of uncertainty. Most people complain about lack of quality.

Well, that's what I used to do. I've never been super impressed, but a lot of folks like it. As long as they know what they're getting. I typically recommend Wonderware.

Consensus seems to be that iFix is NOT included. However, this doesn't mean that GE won't sell that off or chose to not further develop it because they've sold much of their automation equipment and pulled out of the industries where they might have used it.

Reputable integrator that said it was included contacted me again and said no it's not. Emerson contact didn't have a clue either way--typical response to anything. Official iFix distributer says no. iFix is probably here to stay w/ GE until it's not.

The speculation I heard that makes sense to me is that Emerson is trying to fill the machine automation/motion control gap in its portfolio. Trying to acquire Rockwell recently targeted that same gap.

I saw that they tried ... Boy, would that be scary!