Converting 500 projects to 5000 projects

jrichman

I have a lot of SLC 500 processors here at the plant I work at. I have had more experience with compactlogix and some controllogix. As time goes on I have been wanting to have a game plan of how the best way will be to migrate to either compactlogix or controllogix from slc500. I have been looking into some tools built in rslogix5000 software but found more questions. All of my projects are .RSS and the Translate PLC tool looks for a .SLC file type.
Our processors are 1746 from 5/02 to 5/05 but all the programs are .RSS. If anyone has any insight on this that may help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum !

You need to open the *.RSS project file and perform a Save As function to save the file in Library (*.SLC) format. You will also have to export descriptions as a *.TXT file.

There is a substantial user manual (Publication 1756-RM085) on ControlLogix conversions, and a good summary of the v2 version of the Conversion Tool is in RA Knowledgebase Article ID # 69790.

Thanks for your help, I managed to get one of them to work but I keep getting syntax errors on the I/O cards that are originally in the 1746 chassis. So I just deleted them to see how it converts the logic over and it looks a little odd. Is it better to just sit down and re write the whole code or is there a better way for what I am trying to accomplish?

I create the new Control/Compact Logix project with its I/O tree.

I then create the empty routines/programs.

Then, from the RSLogix500 program I cut/paste the logic from each routine. Of course the addresses don't match but that's ok with me.

I/O addresses I create as alias tags then, through the wonder of search/replace, I modify through the whole project.

In RSLogix5000 I'm a great believer in DINT based groups of BOOL aliases. For my smaller machines one DINT for overall machine status and one DINT for each machine section usually suffices. One at a time I create the aliases then search/replace these through the program.

I use OSR a lot so I make one DINT to hold the memory bits and one to hold the one-shot bits and then alias to them one set at a time as I encounter the OSR instructions.

I have to fix Timers and Counters individually but that goes pretty quickly.

It ends up take about 1/2 day to convert a medium project and I'm able to apply the advantages of RSLogix5000 (UDTs and AOIs) to tighten up code.

"Converting 500 projects to 5000 projects"
Why can't you just multiply by 10, or is it divide? :eek:

This may help. It's a step by step process I use to convert files manually. It's uses copy paste method mentioned by Bernie. This should get you close.

Not sure if it affects your "recoding", as it is definitely application specific, but Logix5000 uses a different rounding method than Logix5 and Logix500.

I have seen converted (even hand-converted) projects fail because of this difference.

xxx.5 rounds to the nearest even number in Logix5000, not upwards, as most people expect.

All instructions that can produce a fractional result, and which attempt to store that result in an integer-type destination are affected, even a simple MOV shows the effect.....

eg.

MOV 1.5 Tag1_DINT = 2
MOV 2.5 Tag2_DINT = 2
MOV 3.5 Tag3_DINT = 4
MOV 4.5 Tag4_DINT = 4

so (where the result is an integer-type tag) ...

3.0 divided by 2 equals 2
5.0 divided by 2 equals 2 also !!

The code conversion tools will not tell you this, you have to know what the original code is doing to be certain the converted code does the same...

Thanks for your help, I managed to get one of them to work but I keep getting syntax errors on the I/O cards that are originally in the 1746 chassis. So I just deleted them to see how it converts the logic over and it looks a little odd. Is it better to just sit down and re write the whole code or is there a better way for what I am trying to accomplish?
@jrichman

Using Rockwell Translation Tool to translate a SLC-500 program to ControlLogix

Me and my colleague just found that when using the v2 of the translation tool on a windows 7 machine it would throw those syntax errors that you mentioned. After finding an article where someone suggested using the v2 on a XP machine we tried it and it worked fine with no errors.

I cannot explain the reason for this, but I can confirm that it worked on the XP machine.

Below is the article we found that mentioned this approach.

http://theautomationblog.com/working-around-the-translate-plc-5-slc-2-0-utilitys-syntax-error/

My personal opinion is that if you re-write the code, you will be much happier with the end result. I have a few machines here that have large projects in them converted to RSL5000 from 500. The machines run fine and at the end of the day management is happy with them, but I have to live with these programs every day trying to make changes and additions. It is just hard to follow after a conversion. It seems like a large maze that you must try not to get lost in when fuddling through it. Then you have the aspect of making your HMI regard that code. Sheesh! It is just more time consuming to follow through.
That's all.
My 2 cents!

I had been using this translation tool v2 as well, got rid of all the syntax errors but now am stuck with step 4 where it is translating, is it normal for it to take more than 30 mins to pass this step?

You might want to consider a different approach.... We use a product called SoftPLC that can basically run your old SLC code without any translation issues. You can either keep the SLC I/O or replace it, SoftPLC interfaces to the SLC racks and can reside on your existing networks, so if you have DH+, for example, you can put the SoftPLC on the DH+ and the Ethernet simultaneously.

Cost is much lower than Logix too!