Siemens S5 and S7 protool file extensions?

kemppioy

Hi,

I am using Siemens for the first time and I need to know what is the file extension for the protool applications? Are they the same when used with both s5 and s7 plc's? Also, I have heard on some Siemens op panels, you cannot upload the application and open it. You have to use prosave and then you can only load the application back to another panel if needed. Is this true?

Thanks

Paul Kemp

1) there are more then one protool (protool/lite, protool and pro) - with different OP's support etc.

2) there are more series of OP's
- win-ce based has some flash, there is your project stored as 'runtime' and optionally you can save project source too (i think it's zipped archive ... maybe .pdz, on hdd it's prolly .pdb - but directory contain more files)

- i do not use others panels from siemens

3) prosave is application which allow you to update OP's Operational System (WinCE + Siemens extension like communication), it's quite slow process and in my experience it's not necessary unless you have old version inside your OP

... so it can really vary... depend on what you'll use

So I found out that it is the OP 5 6AV3505-1FB01 panel.. Do you know what software is used to open the file and what is the file extension?

Thanks again,

PK

... they do not have this in mall, it's older one, right?

... anyway, protool/lite support text based OP5 ... and this is the list of directory /TDOP/ with plain project ...

S7TDOP.DBF
S7TDOP.MDX
S7SHELF.TDO
S7LINKS.DBF
S7TDOP.LCK
PRO.PDB
PRO.dbf
PRO.mdx

I hope that this is not a new project as the OP5 is obsolete by now.

If the project was made with COMTEXT, then I think that there is the possibility to upload it with the same COMTEXT software (which I dont have).

It is also possible that the project was created with Protool. In that case the project file has a .pdb extension.
The project file can not be uploaded from the OP5 into Protool.

I have heard that there should be a utility to convert COMTEXT projects into Protool projects.

Hi,

Yes it is OP5 and was created with COMTEXT I just found out. But where can I find the user manual for that. Siemens website sucks and the search funtion just as bad.

Hey Paul,

Give the Siemens' website a break. Your first information input here wasn't exactly brimming with detail and accuracy either. I've just gone to the Siemens Tech Support site, done a general search for "OP5 COMTEXT" and the first item returned was dated 14th Sep 1998. It was confirming the withdrawal of these items as previously announced 1st August 1997. Knowing that the OP7 (the OP5's replacement) is already withdrawn itself by Siemens, let's assume that these small HMIs have a life-cycle of about 8 years. So the part you're asking for help on was probably introduced about 1989 or earlier.

One click further on I found this attached document which seems to give a clear indication of what files can / can't be transferred between various HMIs and various configuration tools.

I'm all for encouraging manufacturers (or anyone) to make their websites easy to use, but I can't agree in this case with your assessment.

Ken