CX-Programmer 9.4 Won't Go Online:

sthompson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Recently, our Programming Laptop stopped going Online with our PLCs over Ethernet. It has been working for years, and just quit.

Nothing has changed on the Laptop, no new Programs etc.

It says it is going Online, the just goes to Offline, however after trying to go Online, I can no longer able to open the PLC Setup Dialogue Box.

I tried completely uninstalling CX-Programmer with the latest Uninstall Program for Omron, and re-installing it. It made no difference to the problem.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

Stu....

9.4 is an old version.
I would try updating to the latest which should be 9.6x.

Once you have CX-One installed, use the Omron Automation Software Auto Update tool to bring your software up to the latest version.

Hope this will help.

Thank you for your reply gtsuport. However, this was a working system. There is no more guarantee that V9.6 would work than the existing V9.4 that we have been running for years.

I need to find the root cause of the problem. It is a very strange issue, because it appears to me that CX-Programmer thinks it is going online.

Stu....

Try connecting to a PLC using a USB cable just to isolate the problem. If the USB connection works then you will know that the problems is related to Ethernet rather than CX Programmer.

Thank you for your reply Mendonsy. I haven't tried connecting direct, but I am pretty sure it will work. I will try that when I get a chance.

I am sure you are right that it is an Ethernet issue. We have been using that method to go Online with all our Omron PLCs for years.

However, all other Ethernet functions work fine on the Laptop, including other PLC Programming Software. So, I believe it is something to do with how CX-Programmer interfaces with the Ethernet.

We have two CS1s and two C200 PLCs, one CS1 has Ethernet, and the rest are over Controller Link, but it won't even Connect with the CS1 that has the Ethernet Card installed in the Local Rack.

It is a weird issue, and I am stumped. So, I have asked for ideas from the many knowledgeable Members of the Forum.

Stu....

Additional Information:

I created a Test Project in CX-Net with all our Omron PLCs in it, and it goes Online with all the PLCs fine. So, the Ethernet and Controller Link Connections are fine, and the Laptop is able to Connect to them.

I am still stumped why CX-Programmer with the same Communication Settings won't go Online.

Stu.....

Has the PC IP address changed?
Can you post some screenshots of the settings you are using to connect (all tabs) as well as yr PC NIC settings?

Hi Lostcontrol:

No, the Laptop IP has never changed. None of the Settings have changed since I originally set it up. It just stopped working one day. Let's start with the main Gateway. The Setup is shown below.

Laptop Ethernet.jpg Refrig PLC.jpg Refrig Network.jpg Refrig Driver.jpg

Download and install Wireshark. Use it to get a log of Ethernet traffic. Do a log with it working, and another with it failing.

Thank you for the reply.

I do have Wireshark, but I haven't used it on this problem to date. As I mentioned in Post 6 above, if I set up all the PLCs in CXNet, it goes online fine with all the PLCs.

So, I am pretty sure that the Ethernet is working, but I am stumped as to why CX-Programmer doesn't successfully go Online with the same Settings.

Stu....

Thank you for your replies.

Interesting reading, but it appears to be for accessing the PLCs via an Internet Connection. I am connected directly to the Ethernet Network that the PLC is on.

This was a working system for years, and it just quite working one day for no apparent reason. Nothing has changes on the Laptop. i.e IP Address etc.

It says it is Connecting, but just goes to Offline. As shown below.

Stu....

Connect Dialogue.jpg Connecting.jpg