What (less expensive) network equip. do you suggest for light industrial networking?

tbennett4u

Not a PLC specific question, but has to do with PLC network communications.

I need to spec out network equipment for a distributed data center, basically several building modules dispersed over a site, each module housing building automation for temperature control and a variety of computing equipment.

Looking for reliable, inexpensive networking equipment to facilitate communications for several networks (VLANs); a control network (within each module and from module to central SCADA), a data network (for distributed computing needs), and potential a business network.

Up for consideration right now are:

What less expensive make/models of network equipment have you used and how was the experience and results?
Any experience with Aruba or Ubiquiti?

I would ask 2 questions.

- Does it matter if the network goes down (production/data)?

- What is the plan for scalability?

With that in mind, I would have a dedicated switch for each vlan and not cut up the switches with vlans. This will save you and electricians a lot of head scratching when someone randomly unplugs from a port and plugs into the port next to it.

edit - I prefer Cisco but $2k a switch is a bit high, the NTRONs I've used work, but the few I had you needed to get comfortable before putting them in production.

Last edited:
I recently installed half a dozen Cisco SG-250 small business switches. They are working great. They don't work with Cisco Network Assistant, but do have a decent web interface. They're fanless and don't even get remotely warm while 40 or so IP camera feeds run through them.

I have several Ubiquiti switches used in a camera system, they have been powered up and working for over 800 days.

I'm using the Automation Direct Stride SE2 series now.
I was using NTRON for a while, until I realized that their per-port DHCP server was next to useless, and they refuse to upgrade it at all.

Currently working on a project with existing N-Tron and Hirschmann (Belden) switches. I priced a matching Hirschmann switch (6-port Ethernet and 2 SFP ports), and it came out to $286. I think that's a pretty decent price for a fairly industrial switch. They seem dead simple to work with too.

I would say Ntron or Hirschamann as well. However, if you have a place that like use all AB stuff including HMI then Stratix is nice because they make premade face-plate for that.

I use almost exclusively N-Tron 700 series switches. I stick with them despite the higher purchase price because they just work. Built like tanks.

My colleagues sometimes select less expensive or smaller-footprint switches. I usually chide them gently.

Today I looked in the shop and found a very large and very complex system using B&R motion and safety controllers on Ethernet, and was alarmed to find a fabricated shelf in the enclosure on which sat an office-grade TrendNet switch.

The designer actually told me "that's what [the distributor] uses in their demos and they never have any problems".

<cracks knuckles>

I have recently converted my home installation to Ubiquity and I love it.

Only thing I do not like so far is the small form-factor. The switches run pretty hot.

We have used WESTERMO in the past for industrial networks. Just dumb switches, but they worked very well. Might be worth a look.

I've been running a Ubiquiti Edge Router at home for about a year now without any issues. For reference, I had to reboot the previous router every few weeks.

However, anything other than the basic configuration isn't for the faint of heart. It's a pretty complex device once you deviate from anything the wizards will help you to do.