ControlLogix RS232 DF-1 Adapter/Card

I_Automation

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a project to upgrade an old 1756-L55 to a newer CPU. The customer wants added functionality and the old CPU is limited to RSL v16.

The only caveat is the line has an existing HMI they prefer to keep that uses the DF-1 serial port and the -L7x's and -L8x's don't. It's a proprietary HMI written in Delphi by the OEM that won't come off the source code and recreating it would be involved, especially as the customer doesn't want any changes in text or graphics as the operators are "used to this".

I have been unable to find a DF-1/RS232 IO card for this. There is DH485 & DH/RIO cards, but they don't support DF-1 - or at least I have not found it in any of the manuals I downloaded from RA.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket RS232 IO card for the CLX, or have a way to do this?

What do you know about the protocol the HMI uses ?

If their driver can be adjusted to connect to Slot number other than Slot 0, just move the 1756-L55 to another slot, clear its memory, and let it be the DF1 interface.

If not, then maybe a DF1 to EtherNet/IP interface from Real Time Automation will do the trick.

Steve,

I will look into those, that might be the $200 solution if I have ot.

Ken,

Can't get any info or into their HMI, but it might be worth a try to test it and see if it will work.

What do you know about the protocol the HMI uses ?

If their driver can be adjusted to connect to Slot number other than Slot 0, just move the 1756-L55 to another slot, clear its memory, and let it be the DF1 interface.

If not, then maybe a DF1 to EtherNet/IP interface from Real Time Automation will do the trick.

it's a good idea to re-use L55, I think.
RTA would be a good idea too, I think 460ETCDFM.

What about using the USB port?

What about using the USB port?

I thought of that, but it's a USB-B port and I am not sure a USB/serial adapter would adapt to that, or if it would work without any drivers installed on the CPU like they have to be installed on a PC.

I am thinking the L55 in slot 2 - if it doesn't automatically bridge the put in a program reading & writing the new CPU tags and copying the values to tags for the HMI, even if I have to modify the used tag names in the new CPU.