Data to SQL DB

rkukl

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have need to pull Data from ControlLogix into a SQL database. Have been Looking for options and found Softing tManager. Looks like will do exactly what we need.
However module is pretty pricy $$$.
Wondering what others have done and looking for suggestions.
Thanks

AdvancedHMI will work, but I would recommend Ignition SQL Module. It will run as a service and it's insanely easy to use. Looks like the website is down for weekend maintenance, but I think list cost is around $2000. You can get prices breaks for different certification levels.

I use Rockwell's Transaction Manager. Runs on a server but it can be pricey too. Which ever one you use (unless your just logging time interval data) make sure you data in in sync before writing it to the database. I make a rotating queue in the PLC and present data to the logger, then the logger writes the data back to the PLC in a separate area. The PLC verifies data matches and sets a bit that triggers the SQL write. Had to do that for high speed step data to get it logged properly.

I've used Transaction manager in the past but the learning curve, and price, is steep! You also need to remember that put data in is the easy part and the real fun begins when you want to get something out again! I ended up writing stored procedures in the SQL server and a whole load of VBA code to fetch requested data and format it for presentation.

You don't mention what the desired end result is so there may be easier/cheaper alternatives that suit your needs.

Nick

I'm not sure what your budget you have and what you would use for getting the data back out. We had two Scada systems both talking to SQL server for recipe control and data logging, both systems had bespoke web pages for producing reports, however, there was also a lot of data not being used as the reports were mainly for production. We had another system that they wanted to extract data from and no real money for the project, I came up with the idea of using Kepware OPC server to log the data directly to a DB, used Excel & VBA to do the queries this produced reports at a little under £1000. Although our IT Dept. was not keen it is something we used as the spread sheets were templates & protected so could not be altered. This proved to be very cheap and all authorised users could use the queries and certainly gave our Maintenance department some useful tools for diagnosing problems.

++ For Advanced HMI
-works great with MySql Community which is free as well.

It is rock solid, never have an issue, plus there is great help available on the AdvancedHMI forums...

I am totally new to VB.net programming and got it to do what I needed

AdvancedHMI will work, but I would recommend Ignition SQL Module. It will run as a service and it's insanely easy to use. Looks like the website is down for weekend maintenance, but I think list cost is around $2000. You can get prices breaks for different certification levels.

OT is stating Softting tManager is "pretty pricy $$$" and yet your price $2000 which $$$$ more than he can afford :angr:
[ Honestly, you would need atleast SQL Bridge Module $1900 and AB driver $400 and lots of development].

It's a tough call. As much as I like AdvancedHMI, I recognize that this is a hobby for me, and the final choice will depend on how much value the OP, and/or their employer, places on their time vs. cash expenditures.

I imagine there are several members of this forum for whom a week's worth of fiddling with bespoke ODBC code or similar in VB via AdvancedHMI (to save money spent on software and licensing) would be as much or more than a full Ignition license and a near-turnkey solution.

I faced a similar issue, and i came across this company automated solutions that provides a .NET driver that will allow a windows forms application that I wrote in C# to be the middleman between the PLC and the SQL database. it works quite well actually, but we had a PC on that network which was already in use so I put it on there. not sure if that is possible in your case but it seems to be working well at out facility.

Cheers

Honestly, you would need at least SQL Bridge Module $1900 and AB driver $400 and lots of development

You're right, he will most likely need a PLC driver. Again those are list prices. As for lots of development, it's very to use. You may need lots of time, but that's just you! :)

I bet your paycheck he would require more time learning .NET.

Just curious how you know how much he can afford based on $$$? That's impressive!!

I faced a similar issue, and i came across this company automated solutions that provides a .NET driver that will allow a windows forms application that I wrote in C# to be the middleman between the PLC and the SQL database. it works quite well actually, but we had a PC on that network which was already in use so I put it on there. not sure if that is possible in your case but it seems to be working well at out facility.

Cheers

AdvancedHMI is exactly that

Thanks for all the replies.
I do not have a PC to use as bridge and was trying to avoid. I am trying to avoid the 7K USD.
But it seems a really good solution given site is remote support will be difficult. May be worth the cost?