Inductive Automation-Ignition< Quick start

How do I get a UDT (PLC Datatype) from Siemens to Ignition 8.1?

Say I have a DB with different tags and at least one tag is based on a UDT, I can connect via OPC-UA to the DB and have access to the tags, but not the ones based on UDT.

ignition.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks Phrog30. I found the answer in S7-1200 manual. Structured data types are not supported along with arrays and a couple of others.

I'll have a closer read as it looks quite involved.
I'm new with ignition so no, I'm not sure, but it does look like Siemens OPC-UA server (driver-interface whatever you call it) does not support structured data. I think what they're referring to is the pre-Version 4.4 when every tag had to be created and indirectly addressed in ignition designer; versus now with V4.4 I setup an "interface" containing the tags I want to access and in ignition I can just drag and drop them.
But if that way (old way) works for UDTs then I may go that route, I'll check it out.

Are you sure?
https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/opc-ua-struct-data-type/26905

I don't deal with Siemens, so I can't help. But it could be worth your time either asking on the forum or calling your sales/tech rep and asking for assistance.

So I'm pleased to report that I was wrong and it is actually quite easy. I followed the thread you posted and in the process found it works much better now and I did not have to use indirect addressing. Ignition displayed the tags and all I had to do is select them and ignition assigned some strange looking URL looking address to it. It did not matter that they were from a UDT and the DB was also optimized.
So although these datatypes are not supported in the new drag and drop way, they're not that much work to connect to them.

Thanks Phrog30, much appreciated.

new tag.PNG