FTView SE 11.0 Security Password Issue

jkerekes

I have a really bizarre password issue with FTView SE 11.0. More than one system, both on Distributed and Station editions. All on VersaViews. Using FT User accounts.

Issue1: No minimum length, no complexity enforcement. A two character Password in the form of a number followed by a letter. If the number is correct, the letter entered doesn't matter, and SE logs you on.

Issue2: Changed minimum length to six. not complexity enforcement. Five letters followed by a sing number, for a total of six characters. Again if the first five are correct, the number doesn't matter, SE logs you in.

Haven't experimented to see if other patterns emerge. Tech. support can't replicate this issue. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.

I have a really bizarre password issue with FTView SE 11.0. More than one system, both on Distributed and Station editions. All on VersaViews. Using FT User accounts.

Issue1: No minimum length, no complexity enforcement. A two character Password in the form of a number followed by a letter. If the number is correct, the letter entered doesn't matter, and SE logs you on.

Issue2: Changed minimum length to six. not complexity enforcement. Five letters followed by a sing number, for a total of six characters. Again if the first five are correct, the number doesn't matter, SE logs you in.

Haven't experimented to see if other patterns emerge. Tech. support can't replicate this issue. Anyone have any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.

Sounds like a serious issue.

Go direct to your channel manager at Rockwell and or your distributor.

Get them to go direct to product group with your existing ticket number.

It is a serious issue. One I’ve never come across before. We do have the issue escalated. I was hoping someone here had experienced this. Rockwell can’t replicate the issue

Hi jkerekes

yes, the problem is only if you have selected the new encryption method SHA-256 (witch greater security ;)).
System -> Policies -> System policies -> Security policy -> Password encryption method.

Change back to the old one MD5 and it works fine. Or use active directory user mangement.

Yes, there a lot of ways to reproduce the error. The password passes if the first half of the password is correct,
and the length or the length -1 char.

Best regards
crawler009

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I did look at the encryption methods. I’m not positive which one is selected. Do you know which is the default? I’ll have to verify this on Monday. This must be the issue. The only downside is that the accounts need to be recreated. But if it fixes the issue, it has to be done. Thanks again.

That was it! Thanks for your help and insight. BTW, how did you learn about this issue? People are asking me. Thanks again.

There are knowledge base articles about it.

Article 1088797 states SHA256 does not properly encrypt password. It shows how to install a patch to correct the issue.

Wait a second. Why didn’t Rockwell tech. Support find this? And this applies to FTView 6.1. We’re talking about version 11. And it’s still an issue? T HTG and you very much for point this out. Grrr.

Wait a second. Why didn’t Rockwell tech. Support find this? And this applies to FTView 6.1. We’re talking about version 11. And it’s still an issue? T HTG and you very much for point this out. Grrr.

The RA knowledgebase article is referring to FactoryTalk Services Platform 6.10 and 6.11 not FTV 6.1

I misread that. Thanks for the clarification. It still doesn’t explain why tech support didn’t alert us to this. They kept escalating it up. Is it included in a current patch roll up? I have to verify witch month of patches we have installed

Last edited: