AB GML 4.03 programming

russrmartin

Hey guys, suddenly after 7 years we have a drive that will home and enable, yet the feedback will be turned off to all the axis. I would like to change the program and add a sort of if then statement. Something like, if axis feedback is off, turn axis feedback on. I cannot seem to find any block that will allow me to use the feedback status to make a decision. Does anyone know how to do this, or have an example of how they have done this. I realize this is pretty old school stuff. Thanks.

Russ

You can do this no problem.

You use an "On Expression" block to check the feedback status of the axis. For instance, if you haven't re-named the axis names use the expression Feedback_Status_AXIS0=1 to check if the feedback is on.

The standard construct I have used for this is here:

Flowchart.JPG

When you double click the On Expression block, right click inside the expression window and choose "Expression Builder" from the context menu. Under the Axis System Variables you'll find every imaginable parameter for the axis.

The bigger question is why is the drive turning off the feedback after homing? Is there a problem w/ the program or are you getting an error on the drive and it is turning off the feedback? The 1394 has no lack of diagnostic variables to choose from (I'm assuming you're using the 1394, I think that is the only drive supported by GML 4.03???).

Let me know if you need more help.

Last edited:
I did as you described, and it looks like the program accepted the changes. I will download them to the drive tomorrow. Thanks for this. I cannot say for sure, but I did look for faults before when the drive did this and found none. The odd part is that I could home the drive. It would home fine, then turn feedback off. But, by using a manual command, I could turn the feedback on, and it would stay on and run fine. I had to do this 3 times in one night, and it has been a week and no problems since. Odd to me. Thanks for the help, I will keep ya posted if I have more problems or if this takes care of it. Thanks.

Russ

P.S. Yes, it is a 1394 drive.

You may have a "When End or Fault" block that turns off the feedback and clears all the error codes. If you want to send it to me, I can take a look at your gml file. Might not be tonight but in the next day or 2.

Good Luck,

I work with GML commander a lot and have run into a quirk that can result in the execution of the fault routine only to find no faults exist. This may not be the problem in your application. You should be able to follow the program flow if there are print blocks at each branch. I recommend adding a print block at each decision branch in the program. Be careful not to put print blocks within loops or you'll overload the serial buffers. Most fault routines disable all axes at the beginning of the fault routine, so your program is probably detecting a fault and executing the fault routine. The only faults that aren't retentive (that I am aware of) are the hardware overtravel faults.

It could, depending on your program, produce the symptoms you describe. If an axis in the system has harware overtravel limit switches in use, and one of these switches momentarily changes states, the high speed inputs on the controller will detect this and cause program flow to jump to the fault routine. Within the fault routine, if the limit switch has returned to its "ok" state, there will be no evidence of what caused the fault. The axis status and global status codes will return to normal automatically. In my application, I copy these status words to user variables at the very beginning of the fault routine, but I've had two different situations on two different machines in which this still was not fast enough to trap the overtravel fault. On one machine, a drive belt was whipping down and tapping the limit switch arm so quickly that you could barely see it with the naked eye. I bent the limit switch arm down out of the way to fix it. The other machine had a poor solder connection that was opening for only a few microseconds at a time.

I have complained to Rockwell Software about the fact that this particular fault is not retentive and their recommendations matched what I'm already doing. They have no intention of changing anything to make this better for us programmers.

Hope this helps.
Paul C.

The 1394 and GML commander are slated for phase out and there will be no updates at all according to Rockwell as of a few years ago.

They are really trying to push everyone to ControlLogix.

Thanks for the input guys. So far I have yet to look at this again, we haven't had a problem since installing the latch that ndzied recommended. I am simply too busy to devote any time to this unless it is down, which would make it a priority. Thanks for the input again.

Russ

Hi,

Recently I come across a customer using IMC S Class that needs support, we don't have the GML software. But our customer told us that they have the software and they load it from the Motion Book CD-ROM, non of them tried to go online with the IMC before using the software & cable provided by OEM.

My question is, can we use the GML software from the Motion Book CD? Or it suppose to comes in a nicely packed box like RSLogix?

Thx.

ckchew666 said:
My question is, can we use the GML software from the Motion Book CD? Or it suppose to comes in a nicely packed box like RSLogix?

The GML Commander software I used came in its own box w/ a manual or two. I believe the Box was mostly black with some colored GML icons on the front. I have no Idea if the Demo softtware will download to a drive. My gut feeling is it wont but I guess you never know until you try.

Last edited:
Russ, we use a few 1394s too. I wrote the GML programs and included a short routine as Norn described. One thing I'd add is to check for "system_buss_up = 1" (going from memory here) before turning on feedback. Buss_up will be = 1 if the main power's on. If you try to turn on feedback with the DC buss down, you'll get a runtime fault.

Re-visiting the gmlc v.4.03

I'm having some weird issues with a GMC 1394 DIGITAL SERVO CONTROLLER.
We've had 3 hardware failures in the last year.
I'm onsite right now... I'll give more history later in hopes to answer some questions for all to come...

Right now the biggest issue is the STATUS LED "0" comes on after a power cycle. We have to re-download the code and press the reset to clear the light. For some reason it loses the code, or it gets corrupt or ???? WE use the GML Commander software and re-download the code and put back into run mode.

We are trying to figure out if it is spikes, do we need filters, like ISLATROL, and the BIG PITA is, WHY PRAY TELL... where is the option to burn to NVRAM or EEPROM and have it reload when volatile RAM takes a dump?

The ONLY reference to EEPROM I found by SCOURING the web is using a SERIES B HIM:

EEProm Mode
EEProm mode allows you to reset all parameters to the factory default
settings. The EEProm mode also allows you to save values that you
program to nonvolatile memory (EEProm) to be used as user defaults.
Recall mode restores any previously stored user values. EEProm
mode also contains the optional Copy Cat feature if it is available on
your Series B HIM.

NOW... is this how it is: We download the script from GML COMMANDER (it compiles the graphical code to script) THEN... we use the HIM to upload the code to the EEPROM LOCATED ON THE HIM???!!!! And then LEAVE THE HIM in place and then we have it ready for re-download instead of having to drive 100 miles to fire up a laptop everytime they reboot the machine?

wow....

I work with GML commander a lot ....

Greetings OkiePC!!! I'm re-visiting this thread with issues on a GMC SERVO system. Please see below if you might have some ideas.

The system is old and obsolete. We have 3 units. I is installed right now, as of two nights ago. 1 is on it's way back to the PLC CENTER. Another is on it's way here.

The last one blew a capacitor off of a board.

This one is working but with the problems as detailed in my other post...

I'm recommending again that they install ISLATROLS. I think PG&E may have some dirty power in this area, or plant spiking issues. Islatrols usually help me out of that issue. Anyway, on power cycle of the machine the code goes away.... weird or what? Similar issue here too on several TI-SIEMENS-505/545 AND 555 PLC's... I have to restore code about once a month and put back into run.

Welllll..... I found out it takes the 1201 series of HIM, BUTTTT:
(FROM MANUAL: 1394 Digital AC Multi-Axis Motion Control System (Catalog No. 1394-50)

The drive-mounted HIM, which is available only with the analog servo
version of the 1394, is accessible from the front of the drive as shown in
Figure C.1. The HIM has two main functions:
• Provide a means of programming the drive and viewing operating
parameters.
• Allow different drive functions to be controlled.
There are three types of HIM modules available:
• 1201-HA2 (shown in Figure C.1)
• 1201-HAP (program only)
• 1201-HA1 (analog potentiometer)
Important: The HIM is available only on the Analog Servo version of
the 1394.

We have the DIGITAL VERSION!!! Not sure if we can do it. Model info:
BULLETIN 1394
CAT. NO. 1394-SJT10-C-RL
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: 1394-5.0

Am I missing something here in understanding? The manual for this Digital Servo mentions the HIM twice... pertaining to when it lights up... nothing in regard to HIM programming.

Rockwell TECH-CONNECT is no help... "OBSOLETE", so says our supplier.

Last edited:
Greetings OkiePC!!! I'm re-visiting this thread with issues on a GMC SERVO system. Please see below if you might have some ideas.

The system is old and obsolete. We have 3 units. I is installed right now, as of two nights ago. 1 is on it's way back to the PLC CENTER. Another is on it's way here.

The last one blew a capacitor off of a board.

This one is working but with the problems as detailed in my other post...

I'm recommending again that they install ISLATROLS. I think PG&E may have some dirty power in this area, or plant spiking issues. Islatrols usually help me out of that issue. Anyway, on power cycle of the machine the code goes away.... weird or what? Similar issue here too on several TI-SIEMENS-505/545 AND 555 PLC's... I have to restore code about once a month and put back into run.

I wish I could remember half the stuff I used to know about these things. It seems that there was a hardware jumper that you could wire to protect the program, but I might be remembering the older creonics boards having that and that the 1394/s-class had a keyswitch instead?

Also, I used to have a manual or two that I was able to get from Allen Bradley even though they were never made available for download, they had one scanned from hard copy and sent it to me in zipped pieces via email. I am pretty sure I left that behind years ago as well.

I am sorry to say I can't offer much help any more. I might be able to recall more if I sat down in front of one...

UPDATE 06.14.2015:
I set up the client (customer) with the old software on a laptop and loaned a cable... then they purchased a new one I spec'd. I then showed the lead mechanic how to restore the code and reset the system. The other two "spares" are "on their way". Sometimes "ya gotta do what ya gotta do..."