24v POE Injector - DIN Rail - Ubiquti

ds7891

For those of you who use Ubiquiti. You will all know that they use a 24v POE voltage on 50% of their gear instead of the 48v 802.3af standard. Of course, there are pros and cons with this.

Pro being that you can use a passive poe injector for a single piece of Ubiquiti hardware wired directly to your 24v control power.

Con, because passive poe is "old school", finding a DIN mounted inserter that has a decent form factor is almost non existent. According to my Google-fu. That, and any you do find look like they are due back to the 90's.

Anyway...what do you guys use to power your Ubiquiti gear from the 24vdc control voltage that is so common in most control panels these days?

What are you trying to power downline that is POE? All of the UniFi gear is 802.3af/at at this point. Of course if you're using a Rocket or something for PtP/PtMP that doesn't do you any good. You can always use a 802.3af/at compliant switch in the cabinet and then a INS-8023AF-O at the 24v passive device.

That said, I won't lie. Before they came out with the inline adapters, I have VHB-taped injectors or ToughSwitches to the inside of a cabinet. I always have a Automation Direct FA-REC3 to power plug in devices like that.

You can always use a 802.3af/at compliant switch in the cabinet.

A lot of the Ubiquiti stuff we use (Lower grade Rockets, NanoBeam) aren't 802.3af/at compliant. It seems their higher bandwidth/longer range components use the 802.3 voltage.

Most of the Control cabinet we build for the application which we need the 24vdc Ubiquiti gear, utilize a 24vdc UPS, and everything in the cabinet is 24vdc. Other than the main breaker.

If we went to an 802.3af compliant switch, we would need a 48v power supply correct? I never used an industrial 802.3 switch in a control cabinet.

Have just been researching POE injectors and some of those have DC/DC step up converters on board and so can work from a 24V supply. They don't always make it clear in the documentation so it does take some searching. I can't advise on switches but did find single channel injectors.

I can't advise on switches but did find single channel injectors.

Which ones did you find, because I looked around and called around to only find 802.3's. Nrton, trendnet, and Moxa's single channel only puts out 48v. And then to hang one of the Ubiquiti adapters off of it is not feasible.

Would love to find a DIN mountable single channel injector that is 24v.

Reading back I am still not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, it gives:
IEEE 802.3af PoE,
IEEE 802.3at PoE+
IEEE 802.3 10Base-T,
IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX,
IEEE 802.3ab 1000Base-T
from a 24V d.c. supply. Haven't used one, I was just looking for 'proof of concept' for a customer who might want to put a camera on to a machine.

https://www.startech.com/Networking...ers/Industrial-Gigabit-PoE-Injector~POEINJ1GI