AB New laptop suggestions

We just received Dell Latitude 5424 Rugged with Windows 10. It seems to be good except I can't put version 21 Studio 5000 on it.

I want a laptop where I don't have to use electrical tape to cover the docking station port on bottom of laptop. I lost one laptop when I forgot to tape that shorting dock port piece of ****. Frustrating to say the least at metal shaving bits at construction sites.

The serial issue is always going to be there just buy a USB to DB9 interface and get all the gender bender connectors. I have a db9 to RJ45 connector where I can select the pins I want with a pin pusher tool

I need the VMware software on a laptop for old software, so use same laptop for both.

I need 2 usb ports, 1 ethernet hard port, 1 ethernet wireless.

$1000 Acer Nitro 5

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Compute...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm looking at this acer, im only looking at spending around 1k. The company is super cheap and my personal system just died, so I'll probably just buy this myself. Its got 2xM2drive+1x2.5inSSD drive slots. Enet, 3usb, 1usb3.1. Someone, may say...oh what about horrible AB licensing: I got the AB CMSTICK8GB, I just need to click the USB into my computer once every 7 days and I can run and gun in grace mode for another 7 days.

I just got a new Dell Precision 7740. I had a Dell Precision M4600 for about 7 years before this one and it handled rough environments just fine. The new one has 3 standard USB ports and 2 USB-c thunderbolt ports, HDMI and DisplayPort, Ethernet Port, and headphone out.

I didn't want Win10, yet, so I ordered it with Ubuntu and run everything in VMs (i even turned my old laptop into a VM so I wouldn't lose anything). 64GB ram, i7 (6 cores), 256gb OS drive, 1TB 2nd for VMs. I paid $2400. If I get another 7 years from it, its less than $10/week.

I've had a Dell M4800 for the last 5 years or so (typing on it now). You have to be a little careful on which processor you would get, but mine supports 32GB, I still have a SSD and the DVD drive can be turned into a second SSD, which I have done.

The only downside has been that the aluminum body is HEAVY and thick compared to the disposable garbage that most laptops are today.

I would go Dell again without hesitation, but for all I know they are using the same cheap plastic parts everyone else is in this day and age.

My old Lenovo T530 (3rd generation i7) is on the right, the new P15 (10th generation i9) is on the left. They are almost exactly the same size. One physical difference, I like the built-in number pad on the P15. However, the old laptop is so nicely setup for everything I do that I'm not sure when I'll transition to using the new one. It's always a big time commitment getting all the non-VM programs loaded.

Laptops.png

My old Lenovo T530 (3rd generation i7) is on the right, the new P15 (10th generation i9) is on the left. They are almost exactly the same size. One physical difference, I like the built-in number pad on the P15. However, the old laptop is so nicely setup for everything I do that I'm not sure when I'll transition to using the new one. It's always a big time commitment getting all the non-VM programs loaded.
just clone your old laptop drive on to the new laptop drive. Why make work for yourself. Windows will install all the drivers you need.

I did that with my new P15.