SLC500 How can load an RSS file into a Memory Module

SLC500_NOOB

Cheers!, I am an experienced electron plumber, but completely new to PLCs. I am trying to exhume a SLC500-based (AB P/N 1747-L20A) Pallet Wrapper that was left without power for several months. Although the wrapper was working great when put into storage, now when the machine is powered up, the "CPU Fault" LED on the SLC500 blinks and the wrapper is unresponsive.

I checked the backup battery (1769-BA) with a DMM and it is very flat (~0.12V). Presumably, the program that was loaded into the PLC died when the battery died. I called the manufacturer of the wrapper and they were kind enough to provide me with a copy of the RSS file (attached), but I don't have the RSLogix tools (or the budget) to upload the image to the PLC.

In reading through the threads and available literature I see that AB made EEPROM-based memory modules (e.g. 1747-M?) that can be used to load a program into the PLC. My problem is that I have an RSS image, and not a chip image file. Can anybody recommend a way to convert (compile?) the RSS into an EEPROM image? I think that if I had the image (HEX, MOT, etc), I could probably get the image burned into a chip/module. Thanks!

OkiePC - Thanks for the quick response. Also appreciate the advice on the battery. Unfortunately, the wrapper is located in Mexicali, Mexico so it may be difficult to find someone local that can do the upload for me. Do you know if RSLogix500 can generate and export a HEX or MOT file directly, or is the only option to upload the image into a Memory Module plugged into a SLC500 PLC?

As far as i know, you have to have the processor and RSlogix500 software to load the EEPROM. Talk to your local distributor, they maybe able to get you free trial license to use long enough to download the program. Be sure you have all the cables and adapters needed before you get there.

Thanks to you both. Good Advice! I will also need to find a suitable memory module. I imagine that just about any capacity will work. It seems that the local AB disti would be far more interested in selling me a licensed copy of RSLogix, but it certainly does not hurt to ask. Hopefully a time limited or "defeatured" version will allow me to upload the program. Anybody have any experience with a trial version of RSLogix500?

Have you given any thought to upgrading the Processor to a MicroLogix 1100? You can download RsLogix 500 Starter Lite for free and it works with the ML1100. Not only will you have the software and program but your hardware will be newer and have a lot more memory.

I converted you program to use a ML1100 and it compiled with only 3 errors. I fixed them. The issue was with the One Shots. Your processor used OSR and the ML1100 uses the ONS for One Shots.

Of course you will have to wire in the new processor but that shouldn’t be a big issue.

Last edited:
Bullzi, Thanks for checking and converting the RSS file for me. A more modern PLC is an interesting thought. I agree that the existing device is very old, and it looks like AB has come a long way since the SLC500, but in the interest of keeping things simple, I would prefer to stick with the existing device (if at all possible). My particular version of the SLC500 is a 1747-L20A; which has 120VAC in/outs. Is the ML1100 available in a similar I/O configuration? Also, are you saying that the RSLogix 500 Starter Lite version would do everything I need it to do? Soup to nuts? If this is the case, then it definitely sounds like very a good fall back position. Thanks again!

I may have one at home that I could load your program and mail it to you.
I’ll have a look see, if your interested. It may be an L-40 though.

Thanks Caveman - please let me know which version you have. I would also be interested in mailing a Memory Module (1747-M) out to have it programmed with the file. Not sure if the exact model (P/N 1747-L20A) is required, or if the image can be loaded onto the memory module using any of the variants of the SLC 500

I have 1 1747-L30B ser B. It has a 2 slot expansion. 115 vac inputs and triac outputs.
I have 1 1747-L40A ser C. It has 115 vac inputs and relay outputs. Appears to be unused.
Both units power up with the cpu light blinking, which means to me, no program. Also, jumper installed for the lack of Battery. I have a few 1747-M11 memory modules, just won’t work with these units.

Now if I can just find the old PIC.

My particular version of the SLC500 is a 1747-L20A; which has 120VAC in/outs. Is the ML1100 available in a similar I/O configuration? Also, are you saying that the RSLogix 500 Starter Lite version would do everything I need it to do? Soup to nuts?

First things first: The program you posted is for a L30A processor which has 18 AC Inputs and 12 Relay Outputs. The L20A comes with 12 AC Inputs and 8 Relay Outputs. I looked into your posted program a little more and it uses 17 out of the 18 inputs and 11 out of the 12 outputs. So either they sent you the wrong program or you have a different processor than they used as their "Standard". Are you 100% sure you have a L20A in the Machine now? So to use this program with the L20A you are going to have to do some work on it as you wont have all the I/O you need to make it work. I would highly recommend that you see if the OEM can send you the program for the L20A. This would absolutely be the easiest route. Without it the road gets very steep and rocky.

To answer your questions:
The L20A comes with 12 AC Inputs and 8 Relay Outputs. The closest ML1100 that matches that is the 1763-L16AWA which has 10 AC Inputs and 6 Relay Outputs. You can add up to 4 modules to the ML1100 so you can easily add modules to get the I/O you need.

With the RSL 500 Starter Lite you can do everything you need. You can create a program from scratch, Upload/Download and even online edit programs (if allowed by the processor) for any of the Micrologix 1000 and 1100 processors. It is a free download from Rockwell Automation but you will need to sign up for a free account.

I hope this helps.

Bullzi - thanks for the diligence! There's no question that I have the part number of the PLC (AB P/N 1747-L20A) correct. I just checked my photos again. I think that your theory about the OEM sending me the wrong RSS file may be well founded. I requested schematics and they sent me three versions before they finally found and sent the correct one. Ill circle back with my contact at the OEM and see if I can get the correct RSS file.