RSLogix 5k - Locking top toolbars

MHammer

Hi everyone who's reading this. :)

I have a tendecy to move around with the toolbars in RSLogix 5000, when I have to make a fast function draw into to the ladder.
Is there any way to lock them so it does not happen? 🔨

:site:

Thanks

//MHammer

How_do_I_lock_toolbars.jpg

I don't know of a way to lock them, but they are easily put back where they should be.....

Go to "View" -> "Toolbars", and there's a big button on there to "Reset Factory Toolbar Layout"

Or, hold down the "Alt" key, then press v, t, and f. Then release the Alt key.

Go to Tools>Options, Select Ladder Editor, then click the 'Configure...' button. Set hot keys for your most common instructions. Reduced toolbar clicking, reduced toolbar movement, reduced mouse movement, increased productivity.

There is no need to drag an instruction onto a rung. If your program is set to Append the instructions then select the previous instruction and click the instruction in the bar to add the instruction to the right of one highlighted. If your program is set to Insert it would add the instruction to the left side of the one highlighted. You can also use Alt+Insert to open the Add Element Window and pick you instructions from there. You can type in the mnemonic code in the formula bar. The last the one is my favorite and IMO the fastest. Especially with simple logic.

Ctrl+R adds rung type XIC INPUT1 OTE OUTPUT1
(enter) and your done. Without your hands ever touching a mouse.

There is no need to drag an instruction onto a rung. If your program is set to Append the instructions then select the previous instruction and click the instruction in the bar to add the instruction to the right of one highlighted. If your program is set to Insert it would add the instruction to the left side of the one highlighted. You can also use Alt+Insert to open the Add Element Window and pick you instructions from there. You can type in the mnemonic code in the formula bar. The last the one is my favorite and IMO the fastest. Especially with simple logic.

Ctrl+R adds rung type XIC INPUT1 OTE OUTPUT1
(enter) and your done. Without your hands ever touching a mouse.

Even faster is to just press "Insert" key - no need for Alt-Insert...

And using this, pressing the first letter of the instruction mnemonic jumps the highlighted selection to the first instruction beginning with that letter, and if it's the one you want, just hit "Enter". If it is not the instruction you want, type the second letter, ..... and so on until the highlighted instruction is the one you want.

Most times you only need to press 2 keys to select the instruction you want, sometimes 3, and less likely 4.

Even more fun is to use Quick Keys. (Tools >> Options >> Ladder Editor --> Enable Quick Key)

These allow you to enter common instructions with a single key. For example, type "x" to add a XIC instruction, "b" to add a new branch, and so on (you can even add your own).

Has the side benefit of driving anyone using your computer insane with random instructions popping up everywhere.

+1 for quick keys. You can generate ladder at a decent rate of knots without touching the mouse or toolbar buttons.

With the quick keys you can also use them to put in other instructions as well.

Type "x" to get a XIC, press the down arrow to select the instruction, press enter, and then enter the text name for the new instruction (for example, CPT).

Of course, this works best if you know the letter codes for the instructions you're trying to use.

Even more fun is to use Quick Keys. (Tools >> Options >> Ladder Editor --> Enable Quick Key)

These allow you to enter common instructions with a single key. For example, type "x" to add a XIC instruction, "b" to add a new branch, and so on (you can even add your own).

Has the side benefit of driving anyone using your computer insane with random instructions popping up everywhere.

The only issues I have with "Quick Keys" are....

There aren't enough keys to cover all of the instruction set, so you can only include commonly used, or "favourite", instructions. And if you are going to do that, why not add the favourite instructions to the "favourites" toolbar. With the default toolbar layout, you can stretch the favourites all the way to the right of the toolbar area, and get quite a lot of your favourite instructions on there, and you can put them in an order that you prefer....

Once you have configured your "quick keys", you have to remember the single-letter you assigned to the instructions, which in the majority of cases can't be the same letter as the first letter of the instruction mnemonic itself. This leads to you having to remember basically 2 instruction sets....

You can configure the display to show the quick keys assignments, but I find that hard to use, because they are "listed" alphabetically by the quick key, not by the instruction mnemonic, and you find yourself trying to "speed-read" the list... Not very user-friendly, in my opinion....

I much prefer the "Insert" method, then the first letter of the instruction you want. Yes, you have to keep typing instruction name letters until the one you want appears, or scroll to the instruction if it is visible at that time, but in a lot of cases just one letter is needed.

Each to their own.....

I'll try enableing Quick Key :)

Thank you, for all the responses. I've tried looking into the Quick Key funtion, but i drove me kind of insane at first. But maybe I should try to enable it again.

//Hammer (y)

Quick Keys will drive you nuts for the first few days that you use it. The biggest thing to remember to do is to hit "Enter" before you start typing tag names. If you don't, your rung is going to get very busy, very quickly :)