panelview plus data collection

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there any way to collect data from a Panelview Plus or the 1746 L532 it is talking to and send this information (CSV or XML) to another computer.
I have several machines running that do display average run time, speed, number of stops etc. My IT is hoping I can give them data collection that they can process into daily reports. We are currently running Factory Talk ME, Not sure if this would require Studio or not,
We contacted the Vendor of our production Software (AMTECH) and their proposal was over 100k which basically only took a photo eye count of products being produced and did the math to determine rate and if they were running and feed this info back from each machine to the sever running their software.
Anyone have any Ideas..............Thanks

Stick a DSP on the network or upgrade one (or more) of the PV+ units to a Red Lion.

Crimson 3.0 is very good at collecting data and logging to csv format. It supports FTP operations so it can push those collected files over to the IT dept. FTP server for them too.

I recently used a DSP for some logging from a Compactlogix controller I had never seen. Using the tag import capabilities, it only took a couple of hours to get it all set up and working and I even got some of the HMI screens recreated so you can view it with a web browser for remote monitoring like you were standing in front of the PVc. This was much easier than trying to figure out if and how a Panelview Compact could log data for them, let alone remote access.

Since you are using a PV+, I think you can modify the application in order to get them to do this without having to spend anything except your time. I am not sure if they support csv format. I am not sure they have all the bugs worked out of their logging features.

Under Objects, ActiveX Controls you should see a MEDataStorePlus object. It will write upto 100 Analog or DINT and 50 Strings. Check out this Thread.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=93413

You may also want to look at Vorne.com it's an andon board that use Excel Reporter to create reports. Works very well. Provides Charts, Downtime, OEE, and other production stats. I think they start as low as few hundred and go up to $7200 depending on the display board chosen.

The data you are displaying on the PVP terminals is originating within (I presume)the SLC 5/03 processor; while PVP logged data could be stored onto a network PC, "comprehending" it without FTV tools could be quite a task.
What comms protocol are you using between the SLC CPU and the HMI terminal and what port are you using for it (DF-1/DH-485, Channel 0 (DB9)/Channel 1 (RJ45)?
You could accomplish the IT required task by connecting the SLC CPU to a 1761-NET-ENI (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um006_-en-p.pdf); the Ethernet network adapter could then be connected to a LAN where a PC running RSLinx Classic (http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/products/rslinx.page#ordering-information)could either"serve" the pertinent data to any other network location in raw form or fill a same PC(as RSLinx) spreadsheet.
This will probably cost you (in its lowest functionality) less than $1000.00.

Thanks
Currently connected to SLC 1747-L532 via RS232 DF1 Channel 1 I believe.
Looked at upgrading to L552 and putting on a network. Also wondering if the PV+ could go on an Ethernet Network separate and still run the RS232 to SLC
The Information displayed on PV+ now is generated in SLC through ladder logic.
I see several approaches to this posted and will go over with my IT guy on what all he can understand. Its all new to me but looks as though it has been done.
I do not need to continually update the information, only send it once per shift, as far as I know I don't believe they are looking for a constant readout. that may change once they start seeing the info.
I appreciate all the feedback-Thank You

Updating to an SLC 5/05 will eliminate the need of the 1761-NET-ENI adapter.
RSLinx Classic Single Node (some $360.00 last checked)could transfer data via DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to a local Excel spreadsheet where your IT department could "pick it up" from.(http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=27949)
By the way, your IT department also could use RSLinx Classic provided data within a VB (Visual Basic) developed application.(http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1093&highlight=dde)

The DataStorePlus ActiveX object is probably the best native tool in the PV+ to do logging to a CSV file.

You can enable and disable the DataStore Plus object so that it starts a new CSV file, and then grab the old one over FTP. The PV+ will happily connect to an Ethernet network at the same time as it communicates to controllers over a serial network connection.

One of the tricky parts of using ActiveX objects in the PV+ is that they have to be on an active screen to run; if the screen closes, so does the ActiveX.

I typically have a navigation bar that never closes, so I just put my ActiveX objects that need to run constantly onto the offscreen portion of the nav bar.

You can also do a background screen that never closes; I have used a "splash screen" where the main screen is an "On Top" rather than a "Replace" type screen. The splash screen just contains some customer logos and revision information, and a single big transparent "Open Display" button.

Thanks
I will look into this option since the PV+'s are already ethernet ready

Collecting CSV Files Automatically

Dream Report is a new Rockwell Encompass product as of January 2018. It offers an FTP file collector that can automatically collect CSV files from remote FTP Servers (PanelView Panels) and transfer them on a schedule basis to a directory of your choice. Dream Report can then automatically process those files, extracting new data, and store the results in an RDB of your choice - MDB file, SQL Express MySQL, Oracle, etc. It will then use that stored data for any report or dashboard generation that you wish.

Thanks
I ended up using a 1766-32BXB to collect data through MSG's from the various PLC's and then used RSLinx OPC to collect data into Exell