SCL 5/04 to Wonderware (Ethernet) connection

jwill83

Hoping someone can shed some light on this...

We have a customer that has a 5/04 processor talking DH+ to a Wonderware HMI, and they need a spare HMI. Our Wonderware rep told us that they stopped making the DH+ card, and the new HMI will be Ethernet.

My thoughts are I have 2 options:
1) Do the HMI and upgrade the SLC 5/04 to a 5/05. Pros - simple change of communication protocol in the InTouch config file for the new HMI; a simple PLC configuration change; I know how to do it... Cons - more costly; 5/05 processor and spare HMI will both sit on the shelf until the current one dies.

2) Get a DH+/Ethernet protocol converter (like the Prosoft AN-X2-AB-DHRIO) or do a DH+/Ethernet Gateway with a ControlLogix DHRIO & Ethernet card. Pros - costs less. Cons - Customer wants the HMI soon and I don't know how involved it'll be, and I've never done this before.

I've read through the ProSoft manual, but it still doesn't make sense on what I need to do with the HMI program (if anything besides updating the communication protocol) or creating the configuration file. We probably have 100+ addresses (B, I, and N in the SLC) being displayed / manipulated by the HMI. Would the config file need to basically list every address that is being seen/controlled by the HMI?

All documentation I've read for the CLX Gateway is from 1999 and requires a 1784-KTX Card.

Has anyone done something similar recently that can point me in the right direction?

🍻

Yes, probably ~ 30-40'.

If the speed limit of the serial connection won't harm your application, and channel 0 is free on the CPU, you could go that route. You do then want to ensure that you have a good quality serial connection in the Wonderware PC and that the right drivers are available to you. I am not very experienced with Wonderware but I suspect it should be pretty easy to redirect the tags to accommodate that change.

If they are not using the DH+ for anything else then then change the processor to a 5/05
or even better upgrade to a newer processor

So that device would take the place of the 1756ENBT, 1756-DHRIO, & 1756-A4 chassis?

Correct its a Ethernet Gateway and will convert your DH+ to Ethernet

So is your Wonderware running on a PC or a fixed HMI? but I think I agree with GaryS if this is the only two nodes on the network you may be better just swapping the 5/04 to a 5/05 (we have them also if needed)

The only issue with Paul's suggestion I see is future access to the PLC for troubleshooting.... if you use the RS232 port you will need to use a U2DHP for connection

Correct its a Ethernet Gateway and will convert your DH+ to Ethernet

So is your Wonderware running on a PC or a fixed HMI? but I think I agree with GaryS if this is the only two nodes on the network you may be better just swapping the 5/04 to a 5/05 (we have them also if needed)

The only issue with Paul's suggestion I see is future access to the PLC for troubleshooting.... if you use the RS232 port you will need to use a U2DHP for connection
The HMI is running on a PC...Compact series D InTouch panel PC.

Do I need to have RSLinx installed on the PC that runs the Wonderware software?

Sorry for all the questions...I need to understand it fully before presenting it to our customer.

Do I need to have RSLinx installed on the PC that runs the Wonderware software?

Its been awhile since I use WW but from what I remember they have their own communication setup and RSLinx is just used for RSLogix, we did have RSLinx and Logix loaded on the PC that was running WW but this was for troubleshooting the PLC

Sorry for all the questions...I need to understand it fully before presenting it to our customer.

Understood and thats what this site is for... you should see how many questions I have asked, just come back and help others when you can 🍻

Its been awhile since I use WW but from what I remember they have their own communication setup and RSLinx is just used for RSLogix, we did have RSLinx and Logix loaded on the PC that was running WW but this was for troubleshooting the PLC

Understood and thats what this site is for... you should see how many questions I have asked, just come back and help others when you can 🍻
genius - just found the Wonderware ABCIP DAServer application note on the Automation Networks website. This clears it up for me! Thanks again for all the help!!
🍻

genius - just found the Wonderware ABCIP DAServer application note on the Automation Networks website. This clears it up for me! Thanks again for all the help!!
🍻

Hi! I´m in the same case: SLC 5/04 & Wonderware InTouch, But the customer has 2 SLCs and 2 PCs in the same DH+ Network and far from each other. Customer wants to Update the Wonderware and the PCs as they are running on XP, but he wants to keep his PLCs and Cabling for now (money issues)

Can I for sure Use the ANC-100e from PLCCable or something similar?
Is it compatible with Windows10?
Could you please tell me the link to the Application Note you mentioned?
Tnx in advance! =)

Hi! I´m in the same case: SLC 5/04 & Wonderware InTouch, But the customer has 2 SLCs and 2 PCs in the same DH+ Network and far from each other. Customer wants to Update the Wonderware and the PCs as they are running on XP, but he wants to keep his PLCs and Cabling for now (money issues)

Can I for sure Use the ANC-100e from PLCCable or something similar?
Is it compatible with Windows10?
Could you please tell me the link to the Application Note you mentioned?
Tnx in advance! =)

See the link in post #2

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=768826&postcount=2

After a customers "IT Guru" (his self proclaimed title) killed the PC running an iFIx HMI for a PLC5/60 - this guy knew everything about networks and my 6 year old knew more about computers than him - I got called to a down electroplating line.

The PC HMI was on the Bluehose loop of the PLC which included 5 racks and 2 Stahl digital encoders on the hoists.

I had to change the iFix to Ethernet and added a ControlLogix rack without CPU with an Ethernet and DH/RIO card that talked to each other and created a bridge automatically. Ran for about 3 years before a CPU was put in and programmed to replace the PLC5.