Can't connect to AB SLC 5/04 (Fault)

TomBrady

Hi,
I am new to the PLC business and I have a problem communicating to an Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC. Its internal program might not match the current I/O modules. So I tried turning it on with and without the I/O modules. The result is always the same: Fault LED blinks and I cannot reach it with the RSLogix software through the RS232 port.

Should I wipe the internal program?
If so how?

Could anybody point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks

Have you done an autoconfig in rslinx ? If not then try it ?

If you have then you may find the 232 port is configured for dh485 ?

Have you got a copy of the user program ?

Have you tried accessing the plc through the dh+ port with the ab pcmcia card PCMK ?

Oh and what are the fault lights ? In sequence, flashing ? solid ?

Thanks For the quick reply Dave!

I have not done an autoconfig and cannot find that option in RSLinx.
What I have is an RSWho window set to autobrowse, the PLC shows up (under the "AB_KT-1, Data Highway Plus" node of the treeview) but with a red cross icon.

I unfortunately do not have a copy of the user program.

I was actually already using the PCMCIA card to connect so I was not using the RS-232 port as previously stated (sorry, my mistake).
Is that the DH+ port?
The driver config is :
Device Type = PCMK
Network = DH+
Station Name = RSLinx
Station Number = 0
DH+ Speed = 57.6k

Should I try the RS-232 port?

The fault light is blinking, all other LEDs are off.
The DH+ light does turn orange at boot up, then turns off
when the fault LEDs lights up.

Do you need any other info?

Thanks

Tom:

what is the DH+ Station Address of your PLC?
I wouldn't recommend using Stn 0 for your PC.
Try setting it to 1 above you PLC DH+ Address.
AutoConfig is for setting up the DF1 Driver.
If you can't get online with DH+ by all means
try the serial port. You will need a null modem cable. Add an RS232 DF! Configuration if it doesn't exist already. Then Select the SLC Channel 0 on the driver, and to an autoconfig.
If you can get online, you can see what the Rack Configuration is.
According to my SLC Hardware Manual, a flashing FLT LED means a CPU Major Fault,
A misconfigured I/O can cause this.
Hope that helps.

Stu....

The fault light is blinking, all other LEDs are off.
The DH+ light does turn orange at boot up, then turns off
when the fault LEDs lights up.

Do you need any other info?

Thanks

Page 153 of the Manual

You could try rs232 but there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to get online through dh+.

Try changing your pc's dh+ node address is rslinx to say 2 or 3 and also try different baud rates. DH+ driver doesnt have an autoconfig but the rs232 does. (You'll need to reboot your laptop/pc)

Have you got the ab df1 cable ?

Found a work around

Tried changing the station number to 2 or 3 and played around with the driver config but no luck.

So I decided to try the RS232 port, installed the RS232 driver with auto config and I finally got communication!

I also had to flush the memory to get rid of the fault (disconnect battery and short VBB and GND).

Thanks to all who helped, specially 504Bloke who gave me the link to the manual which is where I found all necessary info.

Now, all I have to do is learn ladder programming :)
Wish me luck!

ladder programing is easy!!! just be glad your not programing a seimens plc with its structured text programing cause everything you learn on a AB system will just confuse the heck out of you then hahahahaha at least Omron follows the same memory structure as AB :p leave it to the germans to do things their own way