Dealing with a rude contractor

your boss can not work with the contractor so you have an advantage on your boss as you can.
A senior is always right in his opinion, but in most cases your way is also correct, bt in another way.
A contractor does not get paid to educate, he expects somebody that takes the load of the job, so he can do it slow.
make a report about how he is doing as a progress to your boss, your boss will be pleased and the contractor will shut mouth just because you are the reporter.

Please don't buy his excuse and assume that all people from the Northeast are jerks. I don't think I am.

Well... maybe if he's from Massachusetts... :)

HEY......

I like to think I am polite and very easy to get along with. Not all of us are Mass. holes...;)

I will give it to you though, My wife is not originally from Mass like me and she tells me all the time how rude people are around here and she swears it is not like that anywhere else.

Dave

Dave

Héhé, just went in MA for 2 weeks last year for vacation and my wife was surprise about how well being and pleasant peoples where there !!! I don't think rude peoples comes from a specific region of the world but are probably present everywhere there is human around...

Dealing with rude people is something i would call: ''Real life'' vs student life but you don't have to take all the weight of it. Usually these kind of person search and found receptive person for their jerk and, as long as you remain receptive, they will use you this way.

You need to prove to them that you are as valuable as them and then unfortunately, they will turn back to find another one to jerk on, till they die.

My best way is when i can help them for something they are completly screwed up. I wait and bring them to please me to help and after this, they will respect me. But this is usually difficult for a ''green'' technician to find somewhere they are more skilled than a senior but it's possible.

The other way if to face them and re-use the same attitute against them but this isn't possible for everyone untill you reach a state where you are able to be mad against someone...Usually you need to be in a comfortable position in a compagny to permit you to use this kind of solution because they could use this reaction against you like other said.

Or just pay no attention and use the part you can from him and live with it but you will have to face it everyday as this kind of people are usually very patient for catching your attention and limits.

The worse is to continue to be is ''puppy''

at the end of the day you will meet people of this type. remember they are contractors, so, to them time is money and they have a task to perform.
the age difference and experiance levels are always there when you are new to an industry.
he is not your boss, so you can reply POLITELY to any comment he makes.
BobB has 10 years on me - I have been training people in all aspects not only electrical.
the comments the contractor has made to you is the sort of thing you would say to a first year apprentice. It may also be honest.
Personally, If I thought you tape looked wrong I would tell you, probably the same way.
it is a shame he does not have the patients.
don't rely on your judgement if, i understand, you are new to the industry. as a trainee your ability to judge by eye normally is non-existant.
I am not trying to be rude. i have taught many apprentices
I have had one 4th year apprentice copmlain to the boss about me once.
He had done a PVC conduit job with lovely 81~88 degree bends instead of 90.
he complained when I told him to do it again
AND
do it right.
The boss agreed with me

Last edited:
I am 55 but feel like 300
you wernt being rude - but I get to see deleted posts

It's YOUR plant, not his. He's an external contractor -- If he's rude and unwilling to change, FIRE HIM. There are other contractors out there that can do the same job that you will like working with. Your profile says you're from OK -- I know a great electrical contractor in OK that would do an incredible job for you, and he won't be that way...

I am wondering if maybe he is just giving you hell because you've probably told him, and I'm guessing he can tell that your new at your job. There is no reason to be ashamed of it, but earning your stripes is just a part of life.

I am from the northeast originally, and one of the characteristics that people are'nt always comfortable with in dealing with me is that I am blunt. I say what I mean/think without beating around the bush. I suspect that this may be some of what your dealing with, with your contractor.

I'd say fire some sarchasm at him, you'll probably catch him off guard and you'll more than likely both get a good laugh out of it.

If not, oh well he's a dime a dozen.

i think the same dwoodlock
he is probably having his type of fun
inviting him for a coffee and a talk (alcohol only after it is sorted)
your shout and talk about it
he could prove to be a valuable resource.
depending on how long he has been there he could be also a huge loss.
at the end of the day
failing all else
I agree with OZEE