RSLinx issues over VLANS

robw53

Hi,

I have a couple of PC's on our network, one that's been in a good few years, and one that I have just installed next to it. The issue I have with the new one is that I can ping the IP addresses of the PLC's, but when I setup the Eth driver in linx it displayed the processor name but displays a yellow icon and not the actual icon of the device I.e. Compactlogix processor.

I've also tried ETHIP driver and set it to browse remote subnet but still no luck! The older PC uses the ETH driver.

These are both connected directly into the Stratix 8300 and the older one can communicate fine across all VLANS but the newer one has this issue with RSLinx.

I read a comment somewhere about setting up the router to broadcast I think it was, but its strange one PC works and the other one doesn't.

Anybody have suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Regards

Rob

Are you sure that you have the .eds file for this PLC installed in RSLinx? Do you see the CompactLogix normally if you connect this PC directly in the same network as the PLC?

The PC is currently running V30 of Studio 5000 so should have all the latest EDS files when RSLinx installed.

I did upload the EDS from the devices I tried to connect to, but this didn't change anything.

I will setup a PLC next to the PC and try connecting locally to it. My instincts are telling me it will be fine when not having to interact with the router.

Regards

Rob

I tried your suggestion and connected my PC directly to an L33ER and i get the same issue. I tried uploading the EDS once again from the device to no avail. I even installed a slightly newer version of RSLinx i think it was 3.90 but still the same trouble.

I think i have seen a technote about clearing the database. But any other suggesions welcomed

Rob

Hi,

The procssor is running V30 firmware and the PC i have the issue with just has V30 installed along with RSLinx V3.90 or 3.91

Regards

Rob

I'd try connecting to the CPU via USB; there is something wrong with your Linx install EDS database and short of a 'clean' re-install (Uninstall, Delete Harmony Project, Reboot, Install) I don't quite see another way to mitigate the issue.

Connecting to the CPU via USB will automatically 'Install' the L33ER within your PC's communications EDS database.

It's worth giving it a try prior to the RSLinx 'clean' re-install.

The computer is relatively new so i think i will cut my losses and do a fresh install of all rockwell software.

I had tried the USB today, but even though the driver pop up said it had installed, it never appeared in Linx.

Whats involved in deleting the harmony project?

Regards

Rob

Never had problems with Harmony, but I see lot of time it helps to other people. RA technote is 769010, access level: Everyone. You can also download the bat file from there.

Just as an update....i had to remove studio 5000 and Rslinx and reinstall from scratch to get the devices to show correctly and allow me to go online with them.