Asking for an inexpensive PLC recommendation

chantecler

Hi,

I have a project to replace an old BBC Procontic B PLC by a modern PLC on a Flexographic Printer for plastic film. The app is quite simple, 152 I/Os, no HMI, no analog, no PIDs, no motion..., only bit logic and timers.

Since I have become used to Allen Bradley PLCs I proposed my client an AB CompactLogix config with a list price of 7,000 usd

My client asked me to look for a less expensive alternative and that is why I am asking you for recommendations.

My preference is something with free and quick to learn software.

Thank you

The reason to replace the PLC is that the CPU broke down, I have already looked for an AB micro config but none suits the needs.

I am kind of inclined towards the AutomationDirect brand although I am not familiarized with it at all

AutomationDirect has a productivity series PLC with enough memory and IO to do what you need. It also supports remote IO racks. I'm an AB guy as well, and with (free)AD support I was up and running in no time. F1 works just the same and there is some pretty good documentation for it. I bet you could get your entire IO setup for less than $1500.

The bloody 800 series free software does not do online programming - have to buy software for that! And they want to compete? LOL

+1 on Productivity from Automation Direct.

Also they have the BRX series which would do the job also, and its software is free .

Schneider M241 is a relatively cheap but powerful plc with Codesys as Ide.
M221 is also an good option if you need completely free software.

M221 and M241 are built by Idec for Schneider, and share the same base hardware as the Idec FC6A. I've used a M221 recently and it's good, but the software is a bit clunky, much like their old TwidoSuite package. Either the FC6 or the M241 represent good value for money though.

Thank you,

I'm going to investigate AutomationDirect, Idec and Wago and Schneider too.

Someone recommended me Delta as well

Now, I think that CoDeSys is a paid software, isn't it?. I have to take a look at it too.

Hi,

I have a project to replace an old BBC Procontic B PLC by a modern PLC on a Flexographic Printer for plastic film. The app is quite simple, 152 I/Os, no HMI, no analog, no PIDs, no motion..., only bit logic and timers.

Since I have become used to Allen Bradley PLCs I proposed my client an AB CompactLogix config with a list price of 7,000 usd

My client asked me to look for a less expensive alternative and that is why I am asking you for recommendations.

My preference is something with free and quick to learn the software.

Thank you

The reason to replace the PLC is that the CPU broke down, I have already looked for an AB micro config but none suits the needs.

I am kind of inclined towards the AutomationDirect brand although I am not familiarized with it at all
Wagos PFC 100 is a good bet or Phoenix Contact PLCNext.

However it this thing really is super simple and just has a lot of IO then just go with AD Productivity. They have 3 different series.

M221 and M241 are built by Idec for Schneider, and share the same base hardware as the Idec FC6A. I've used a M221 recently and it's good, but the software is a bit clunky, much like their old TwidoSuite package. Either the FC6 or the M241 represent good value for money though.

I played with m221 but never used it for an actual project. The software is free but doesn't support ST which is a deal breaker since I don't use ladder.

M241 on the other hand is good Plc and since Somachine Central is basically Codesys it makes it very flexible and powerful. The software normally isn't free but we got it for free from Schneider directly.

Another good option is Siemens S7-1200.