SLC 500 communications error after download

I went to site today. I changed the plc battery and put it on back on.
Program seems to be in the plc and the run light is on and the dh45 and rs232 is green.

The channel o is connected to an hmi panelview 600.

I looked in the program offline and both channels are dh485 19200.

I tried to connect to this plc now but obviously because I'm using the rs232 df1 it wont allow me to see the plc.

Is there a way change the channels on the program and maybe make the channel 0 df1.

How would I then transfer the changed program to the plc.

No SCADA PC?

Ok...

stallone said:
...Is there a way change the channels on the program and maybe make the channel 0 df1...

What is the full catalog number for the "panelview 600"?

I'm wondering if it's communications port is fixed to the DH-485 protocol or is it configurable to DF1? Although, if the HMI terminal is a certain distance away from the processor then this can be a deciding factor in having chosen DH-485. But let's not think too far into all that until we see the catalog number.

Regards,
George

Nope no pc.
What was said to me to be a scada pc is in fact a panelview 600 2711-k6c5
And it's about half a meter away from the plc.
Mounted on front of the panel.

2711-K6C5 - Unfortunately, that model of PanelView Standard has only a single RS-232 (DH-485) communications port which cannot be "reconfigured" to DF1.

This terminal also cannot be "converted" to RS-232 (DF1). Only models that also have the additional serial printer port, such as a 2711-K6C9, can convert the protocol by loading a protocol specific firmware which swaps the protocol for the two ports (DH-485<>DF1).

So that's "that" option off the table.

I don't think you've told us yet whether the top Channel 1 DH-485 communications port is unused? If it is, you could look to move the DH-485 PanelView Standard terminal up to this port, freeing up the bottom Channel 0 RS-232 port.

How might you do that, you may ask?...

You could add a 1761-NET-AIC+ interface in between the PanelView Standard and the SLC 5/03. You would move the serial cable from the bottom Channel 0 port and connect it to the 9-pin serial port on the bottom of the interface. You would then connect a 1761-CBL-AS03 cable from the top 6-pin "Phoenix" port on the interface to the top Channel 1 DH-485 port on the SLC 5/03. This would allow the PanelView to continue to communicate to the processor using DH-485.

Or.....

You could just go and procure the USB to DH-485 adapter we keep mentioning and connect to the top Channel 1 port, if it is unused. I cannot stress any greater the value of doing so. I would not to walk up to an SLC 5/03 without one, unless I've forgotten to put one in the bag!?!

Regards,
George

Thank you for the information.

I didnt bring that cable with me. Stupidly I listened to other people telling me what was in the panel.
An slc 503 with dead battery and missing program and an rs232 cable to the hmi.

In the case above, I would be fine with my null serial cable and a rs232 convertor and my new battery and plc program to load.

The only way for me to access this plc now is to basically set it to default?
I have a spare plc and I could set the offline program channel 0 to df1?
That way I can communicate online and upload download etc. But the hmi wont communicate?

Otherwise I just leave as is. I changed battery and the program in fact was still on the plc.

The dh485 port is unused.

I'm going to change the offline program and make the channel.0 df1.

My problem now is I have a spare slc 503 cpu. The original is the 1747-L531 and i want to change to the L532.

When I change in the controller properties it pops up to say error Scp instruction not valid for the selected processor L532.

Also invalid floating point constant value specified. Value must be an integer.

So even if I wanted to swop to the different plc I wont be able to or is there a solution?
Sorry I did read the manual and tried a search for this.

The L532 you have might have an older version of the firmware (this is a guess). Or you may have selected the wrong FRN number from the list causing that error.

Also, you mentioned that the allegedly dead PLC with a bad battery loaded and ran fine when you installed a new battery. That makes me suspect it might have a memory module installed, in which case you might need to update that module with any changes you make to the PLC program.

Hello all,

soy to jump onto my old thread but i realized i never updated what i did in the end, i changed battery and reloaded program and that was that, it ran fin and luckily i didn't have to make any changes, as i mentioned it has been running for 20 years.

Anyway fast forward 8 months and my customer has told me that there is a new error, the plc fault light is flashing red, out of the blue, no changes or anything to have caused this.

Also the dh485 led is flashing on and off green. the rs232 is solid green(hmi panelvie connected to this port)

Anything you think i can tell them to check that would have caused this, ar possibly a faulty PLC?

so i flashing red led does not mean a dead plc? does it mean it could point to an i/o error or program error?

The program and plc system has been running for 20 years.

Why the sudden change now, the guys in the factory have no means to go online so they would not have changed anything and also the plc has a ups for surge protection,

so i flashing red led does not mean a dead plc? does it mean it could point to an i/o error or program error?

Flashing red normally means the error is recoverable

The program and plc system has been running for 20 years.

Why the sudden change now, the guys in the factory have no means to go online so they would not have changed anything and also the plc has a ups for surge protection,

I have seen PLCs run for years before triggering a math overflow that wasn't trapped. I have also seen old SLCs start to have power supply, backplane trouble, or a problem with an expansion card that can be intermittent.

As Firejo said, go online and retrieve the error description before you clear the fault and that should point you in the right direction.

I don't use Panelviews, but it should be possible to add tags to the HMI to display the PLC error and even the description of the fault. I do this with all my Red Lion HMIs. Here's a link to the Crimson 3.0 example I posted a few years ago:

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/980-crimson-30-slc-error-codes-with-text/

Last edited: