Rslogix500 relating to Rslogix5000

Keldog

Hey all. I was wondering how a bit in Rslogix500 N7:70/7 which is already in my Rslogix5000 program, but i can't find it is there a standard that Rslogix500 transfers into Rslogix5000. I guess what i am trying to say is there a way to find the equivalent of N7:70/7 in Rslogix5000. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. 🔨

You would name the tag N7:70 in 5000. (expand in the DINT) and you will be able to see the expanded bit structure)

In 500, the CONVENTIONAL TAG structure is the number system (ie N7:7)
Remember, in 5000, you make the tag what you want. (Call it Tag1, N7:7...whatever)

thanks kcarlen, but the tag in 5000 is not called N7:70 it's already in there but i'm not sure of the name i was wondering if there was a way you could tell from the tag in 5000 if it's actually the tag for a bit in 500.

I'm really not sure of your question, but if it is communicating to a 500, then the Logix5K program probably has a MSG instruction there for data table read/write. That should show source and destination tags.

If you are using an HMI, then you need to check the Logix5K PLC/SLC Mappings (Logic Menu, Map PLC/SLC Messages)

Remember too, that the Logix series CPU no longer uses the dedicated 'File' type of register, but is completely freely definable. You can simulate the 'File' registers of older SLC/PLC series by creating arrays, but even so, the method of specifying addresses is different. In your example, SLC N7:70/7 would (if desired) be represented as N7[70].7 in a Logix program. (assuming N7 was defined as an array of > 71 integers)

Last edited:
Sorry about the confusion i'll try to make this more clear. thanks for you input. the bit in the Rslogix500 is N7:70/7 and N7:70/5. Those are the running bits for the aerators and i know there already in the Rslogix5000 program because we can start and stop the aerator from the VTS which is connected to the Control Logix which is run by RSlogix5000 but i can't find the bit in 5000. It's mapped to 5000 by the file number 7. So if i can start and stop the aerators from the VTS that is the bit i need for the timer but it's listed as N7:70/7 and i'm not sure how that corrspondes to 5000 if it does at all. I hope this clears things up for you.

Keldog, I am originally from Hastings-Campbellford area...so I know your turf.
You are right, the program in the 5K processor simply maps the signal through either ethernet. DH+...serial....whatever to the SLC.
We need more information on the 5K side of things in order to answer the question. The 5K is most likely messaging the SLC. You might want to look at the code aphiliated with the SLC, cross reference the Bit.
Is there a MSG file anywhere in the SLC or 5K?

There are MSG instructions in both the 5K and the 500 but the ones in the 5K just read the Remote I/O rack in the electrical building which is not connected to the SLC in anyway. The 500 has 6 read's and 1 write but it sais they are all reading PLC5 so i'm very confused here o_O

maybe another approach ???

Those are the running bits for the aerators and i know there already in the Rslogix5000 program because we can start and stop the aerator

maybe you could attack the problem from the other end??? ... in other words start at the outputs for the aerators and backtrack to the input logic which controls them ... maybe this would help identify the 5000 bits that you’re trying to nail down ...

That's what i've been trying to do but what confuses me is in 500 it's N7:70 but in control logix it has a name is there a way to look at a 5000 tag and see what address it controls???

Sorry to seem confusing but it's hard to explain.. thanks again for you help

To allow backward compatibility with older AB processors, the CLX processors have a function that will emulate a PLC5 for commuication purposes. This is probably how the data is being passed. Look in the pulldown menu that rdrast listed previously. Under that menu you should find an entry that matches up with a PLC5 or SLC file number from one of the messages in your SLC.

So one of your SLC messages should send N7:70 somewhere. It may be part of a bigger block of N7 data. On the CLX side in Logix5K you should see an entry under the PLC/SLC mapping that lists the file number that the SLC message is trying to write to as well as an array tag that the data actually goes into on the 5K side.

This is only an example. Your actual setup may be different. So let's assume you are trying to write from N7 in the SLC to N7 in your 'virtual' PLC5 or SLC. I say virtual because you are actually writing the the CLX. But the CLX will respond like a PLC5 or SLC to that type of message. The array on the CLX side must be big enough to hold the highest address that the SLC will send. For example, if the SLC will send N7:100 then the array needs to have at least an element 100.
In the 5K mapping setup for the above example, the file number would be 7. For simplicity I will say the 5K array tag is called N7, butn it really could be anything (like SLC_MSG_Write_Array, for example). It's just a tag so the name doesn't matter.
Now for the correlation. N7:70 on the SLC side will show up in array index 70 of the mapping tag in the CLX (SLC's N7:70 is N7[70] or SLC_MSG_Write_Array[70] or ??????[70] in the CLX). You can address down to the bitm level in the array. So N7:70/5 in the SLC is N7[70].5 in the CLX.

Now, it is possible that you could be doing direct bridging on the CLX rack. but let's try this one first and see what it gets us.

Keith

Keith, i see the entry under the PLC/SLC mapping but it only tells me the array its point_c_info but it don't tell me anything else and when i go to point_c_info in the tags itself it's 16 bits long. So is what your saying that my N7:70/7 address correspondes to the point_c_info array somehow????

thanks alot o_O

Originally posted by Keldog:

So is what your saying that my N7:70/7 address correspondes to the point_c_info array somehow????

Yes, I am. The relationship in the mapper is at the very highest level. Any message coming into the CLX for N7 will end up in point_c at the proper index. In your specific example, N7:70/7 should be point_c[70].7.

It sounds like you are saying that point_c in your CLX program is not an array. Is this correct? If its an array the data type will be INT[100] or some other number. pressing the expand radio button next to point_c should give you access to individual array elements.

If point_c isn't an array I'm not real sure how they are passing data.

Keith

Keith, it's actually not an array cause it just sais INT there's no number afterwards. That is why i can't figure out how's it passing data either??? and it's just Point_C_Info there's no brackets on the end. So could it be the card that is in the SLC in the other building?? What if i made the Point_C_Info an array now would that make it correspond to the N7:70??? and if i do that do i have to change what's already on there to the array value and will that screw up anything else?

thanks captain

Last edited:
You've got me stumped. I'm not sure how the CLX processor would map to a single integer. I assume it would map in only element 0 of the designated file. I've never done such a thing so I'm not sure.

Keith

i still got myself stumped. I just can't figure out this problem. We think the bit is already there cause we can use the VTS (HMI Progam) to turn the aerator on and off so if i could find that bit in 5000 i could use it but i don't know how it corresponds to N7:70 sorry to sound like such a pain in the butt

[headbang][headbang]