Ethernet/IP IO

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with an idea.

I need to sound a small horn, max 72db.

24VDC, 20mA = 0.5 watts give or take.

Ideally, I would have an Ethernet/IP horn that I could turn on from a Compact Logix PLC.

Right now I am running cable for the horn and cable for the ethernet, would be amazing solution to be able to do both over ethernet.

Best regards to all!

Paul

Not sure I understand your setup, BUT.

So if your horn was wired 24vdc all the time with an "Ethernet Controlled Relay"?

You just then want to energize relay from ethernet? Is this what your trying to do?

If so - this would work for you.
https://store.ncd.io/product/ethernet-network-contact-closure-transmitter-receiver-1-channel-spdt-relay-2-way/

Sorry for the confusion. Currently we run a 2 wire cable direct back to the Main Control Panel (under 100 m) to a relay contact. The PLC drive the relay directly, no Ethernet.

My though would be to eliminate the PLC output point, relay and 100m of running cable. We have to pull an Ethernet cable for the Maple HMI, so I would like to eliminate the hardwired circuit to the horn mounted beside the smaller remote HMI.

Yes, I would like to energize a relay from a Compact Logix PLC.

yes you can If your switch has a PoE built in if not you can use a PoE injector

Yes, no problem with adding an injector, but trying to source a horn or even a relay that can be controlled from a Compact Logix PLC has been the issue.

I have looked at Point IO, but that is overkill, I just need one output.

Just to clarify - you'll still need a 24VDC supply for this, it's not POE.

Although, if I understand correctly - you currently have two wires up there which power an existing siren, and you want to re-purpose those two wires for a 24VDC supply to the HMI (and also, this I/O module). Then the only new cable you need to run is an ethernet cable, you don't need to run another two-core for the siren. Have I read you right?

A nice bonus to have embedded switch on the I/O module too - saves the cost of a switch or a second ethernet cable to the HMI!