Sending a couple values from CompactLogix 5380 to an Automation Direct BRX

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I had a project possibility fall in my lap yesterday, and I spent some time trying to figure out the mechanics of sending a couple values between different brands of PLCs... CompactLogix and Automation Direct BRX. I've only done that sort of thing once, using a Red Lion HMI to act as a bridge. This would be a direct connection (I'm assuming it's possible) using the Ethernet ports.

I started looking last night for information, but didn't stumble on any low hanging fruit. I'll look again tonight when I get home. I'm hoping that some of you guys with more experience can point me in a direction.

Here are a few details...

CompactLogix 5380, version 31, sending a value (Int, Real, Dint.. whatever) to a Automation Direct BRX doing some data logging.

I have some thoughts, but would rather pose the question and see what comes of it.

The BRX supports Modbus TCP, the CompactLogix does not support it directly, but it does support open sockets. Rockwell has an example program for using Modbus TCP on a Compact Logix. I have never used it, but I have looked at it. If you factor in the engineering time, frustration and troubleshooting, it's cheaper to just buy and use a RedLion Data Station.

The funny thing is, I thought about the data station about an hour ago, watched a Galco video on YouTube, and called my office to find out the price. I figured that would be my backup solution if it was too difficult. You seem to have confirmed my suspicions. Thanks!

If I was still a plant support person, and had a PLC, time, and not much of a budget, I would spend the time to go the open socket route. I would be the only person that needed to understand how it worked.

But, from an Integrator's stand point, data station is the way to go. No complex code, easy to document and understand.

The compactlogix can use raw sockets I have used it once. If the Automation Direct is a modbus client you could integrate a Modbus server by code, it's simplier than the client.

I once had 2 days to day to make communication bewteen a new machine (a CNC with a S300 which was there just to communicate) and a production line in Schneider TSX Premium. The manager who accepted the job had bought a RS232 serial-Ethernet gateway which was completely useless. It needed a few byte of communication, but without that it wouldn't work together.

I found on internet someone who had posted his own open source implementation of a Modbus server in S7-300, using TCP/IP socket, it was lacking the most complex Modbus functions but it supported bits and bytes exchanges very well. It saved the job and worked well. Maybe there are some exemples of that for Rockwell.

Galco's price is currently about $617, straight off the internet. Any solution would have to be evaluated against that. I think Ken is right... it's a good project in some situations, but it's hard to beat the versatility and ease of using the data station. If this project succeeds, it will be replicated on every machine at this factory, regardless of manufacturer.

.....Sometimes you just have to talk these things out.

I think the BRX supports ethernet I/P. It might be easier to have it read the data from the Compactlogix.

https://forum.automationdirect.com/...eresting-comms-isssue-btween-brx-and-rockwell

See also this video for some information about Ethernet/IP setup (two DoMores, but might still be helpful)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=59&v=p3K3WbX406E

Cool! Thanks! I'll check this out tonight. It would still be good to try the connection, just to have that tool available if needed.

I just tried out the Ethernet/IP Server in the Do-more BRX with a CompactLogix reading and writing to the BRX. It does work, but I wasn't very quick figuring it out.

CompactLogix MSG
Message Type: CIP Generic
Service Type: Set Single Attribute
Class: 0x4
Instance: 101 (for Block 1 in the Do-more)
Attribute: 0x3

Source Element: BRXN[0] (Tag I Named BRXN INT[10])
Source Length: 20 Bytes

Path: 2, 192.168.1.20 (whatever IP address the BRX has)

In the BRX Ethernet/IP Explicit Message Server I have set,
Block 1: Checked
Enable Reads: Checked
Element Type: N
Starting Element: 0
Element Count: 10

Reading works too.

Nice, something else to add to the tool kit.

Just for my own understanding, how long did it take to get the first message to work.

Probably less than an hour, sometime after I read the OP anyway. I happened across how to setup a C-more as an EIP slave with the CLX and that got me over the hump.

I'm forever a newbie with the comms it seems.

I did try a generic ETHERNET-MODULE in the I/O but didn't get that to work.