Modicon M241 “No source archive available on the PLC”

kalabdel

Hi everyone,

I have a Modicon M241 Firmware version 4.0.3.18 which I can connect to using Somachine V4.2 but whenever I try to upload the project I get an error "No source archive available on the PLC" . The only help I could find on the web for this error was dealing with M328 and it recommended putting the CPU in stop to upload but when I did that the CPU disappeared from the list of devices I could connect to, so it had to be in Run mode to be seen.

I've noticed that this version of firmware is not available among the list of devices in Somachine V4.2 and that only M241 with version 4.0.5.9, could that be the reason for the error and if that's the case do I have to use Somachine V4.1 or is there a way to update the hardware catalog to include previous firmware versions?

Thanks
Kal

1st Thing I would do is get v4.1 loaded as well. V4.1 and V4.2 run independently on one pc.
The other problem could be that you dont have the original files. There are 3 files created when creating a new project. The project file and 2 others. All 3 are needed to upload from a plc. You could try opening the file, then archiving it. Then open the archive file and try to upload. If it gives you the save problem you are going to have to download to the plc. When online always remember to create a boot application before disconnecting
One other thing. I dont know why you cannot see the device when in stop mode? When powering up a new plc it is always in stop mode. How are you connecting, via usb?

Thanks cheud, yes I'm connecting via USB but I was having problem with the port connection seem to be a bit iffy and I had to make sure the cable doesn't move at all or it loses communication so it is possible that when I reached to switch to stop the cable moved and that was the reason. I will try again once I install 4.1

It looks like it's going to be a learning curve and very unlike PLCs I'm familiar with. I have no clue what a boot application is. Any documentation you can recompensed would be great. The manual didn't seem to be much help but again I read it on site while diagnosing.

One note though, the CPU is on a functioning equipment and downloading to it is not possible. I want to have a peek at the program to troubleshoot two small issues.

Thanks
Kal

Ok so connection issues was resolved? I only started working with these 6 months ago and had 1 hell of a learning curve. But the things these plcs can do is amazing. Talk directly to sql....excel....or even log data on the cpu and then you have the webvizu which takes out hmis in a standalone application. It is codesys based software...there is a very good forum on codesys...they seem to not give3 help on somachine queries but all the help on other software applies to somachine

Hi chud,

Yes I can now connect via USB or ethernet and see both the PLC and HMI as per attached picture. I am now using verion 4.1 SP2 and what I do is highlight the CPU and click on "Select" button and then in the following screen I select upload project and that's when I get the error “No source archive available on the PLC”. I get his error also if I tried to upload the project from the HMI.
I tried another way:

Create new project and add a CPU then select Source Upload from Online menu and that gave me the same error.
A google search for that error was not very helpful, I could only find one relevant page

Thanks
Kal

1.jpg

Regarding the hmi. One can only upload a program from hmi if the original program was selected to include the editor project. Normally (not always) one would need to use extra memory to accomplish this so I rarely see that people do this. If this option isnt selected you cannot upload from the hmi.

Im new to somachine and schneider, im trying to understand how this works.

i don´t have the original code, when i try to upload from plc it says " no source code found".
there is another way to see the ladder inside ?

The source code have to be downloaded to the PLC for you to get it. If the source was not downloaded to the PLC you can upload the program from the PLC to the PC.