Panelview plus 1000 software

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been asked to modify and add some screens on a panelview plus 1000. The screen is communicating to a micrologix 1100 via ethernet.

I have programmed numerous panelviews using panelbuilder 32, but I have never programmed a panelview plus.

I think i need to use rsview, but i have no idea what version i should use (SE, ME, ect)
Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'll begin by saying that this is confusing to me and I do it. With PV Plus, you build the app and then you can run it on the PC or move it to the Plus and run it.

To build it, it used to be RSLogix Studio Edition (SE) and to Run it on the PC, it was RSLogix Machine Edition (ME). But this had to change, and so now you are looking for FactoryTalk SE and if you want to run it oun you PC, it's FactoryTalk ME.

And having said that, in the SE version, there is a test mode that allows you to run the screens in a temporary fashion.

I've switched to the PanelView Component recently which has all the development tools built in so all you need is Internet Explorer and an ENet port.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

I'll simplify it for you.

FactoryTalk View Studio ME is for creating PanelView Plus applications.

FactoryTalk View Studio SE is for creating FactoryTalk View applications. It includes also the functionality of FactoryTalk View ME. It's a lot more expensive and complex, so don't buy it if all you need is to build applications for PanelView Plus terminals.

I have been asked to modify and add some screens on a panelview plus 1000. The screen is communicating to a micrologix 1100 via ethernet.

In addition to what has already been said:

In order to modify an existing application, you are going to need the application archive (.apa) file.

You will also need to be concerned about the version which was used, and the firmware on the PV+.

I highly recommend performing a backup of the PC before you install FactoryTalk View ME.

Follow Rockwell's instructions for the installation of the software very carefully.

Also, be aware that you need to allow plenty of time even to make very simple changes. You can't just open a backup file directly, like you could with a .pva

You must use the Application Manager in FTView to handle restoring a backup file and for creating a runtime file. Don't change any of the default paths, Don't delete the sample applications. Don't try to do anything our of the ordinary without research.

Hi Ken,

I have to upgrade from RSView to work on an old PanelView Plus application (my RSView is crashed). So I take it that FactoryTalk Studio ME is enought to do that?

Where can I get up to speed on the technical hurdles ?

Bob A.

In addition to what has already been said:

In order to modify an existing application, you are going to need the application archive (.apa) file.

You will also need to be concerned about the version which was used, and the firmware on the PV+.

I highly recommend performing a backup of the PC before you install FactoryTalk View ME.

Follow Rockwell's instructions for the installation of the software very carefully.

Also, be aware that you need to allow plenty of time even to make very simple changes. You can't just open a backup file directly, like you could with a .pva

You must use the Application Manager in FTView to handle restoring a backup file and for creating a runtime file. Don't change any of the default paths, Don't delete the sample applications. Don't try to do anything our of the ordinary without research.

Nothing against AB and Rockwell, but it sounds like it would be easier to change to a Redlion screen

It depends.

When I first put RSView Studio 4.0 (both ME and SE) on this machine I had no trouble whatsoever. Editing programs was a bit of a challenge at first, but I did okay. Then we had so many problems with SE distributed that we got some RA experts in here and they highly recommended upgrading to 5.0, and offered us a deal to upgrade which we did.

Installing 5.0 on my machine was a nightmare. I finally got 5.1 to install, and spent another week straightening out my .net framework stuff and my Autocad server based license.

My counterpart had none of those issues, although he did have some minor issues when he upgraded his machine to 5.0 It only took him about 6 hours to get the install and the bug fixing done.

As far as hardware and capability, I find th G3 superior. As far as software and PC hassles...Crimson 3.0 installs in seconds, and I have only seen it crash twice (in rapid succession likely due to a mistake in a program on my part), and both times it recovered all but the last few steps of my work automatically when I restarted it.

You'd have to look at the cost of FTView Studio ME, the cost of the physical changeover, the cost of a G3, adding a new part to stock for a spare (if you don't already use the G3).

One thing that I like best about the G3 is the boot time. We have forming machines that get locked out at least 6 or 8 times a day for minor setup changes. Some have PV standards and others have PV+, and the PV+ boot time is 90 seconds to 2 minutes. The OEM even went so far as to add a battery to keep the PV+ alive during short power outages, but to no avail, because once comms are lost, they might take 10 minutes to recover! My G3 boots and is rocking along in 7 seconds. I can unplug the comm cable, and it shows it right away, I plug the comm cable back in, and within a couple seconds, it's talking again. I've done this with ethernet and serial connections. I have been asking for permission to put a G3 on the forming machines, but the SLC code in them is OEM locked...One day when I am all caught up (never) I may write a new program from scratch...

If you're already using G3s, then that might be the best path.

If you urgently need to make a simple change to a PV+, that might be the best.

Some folks claim to love the PV+ and have no trouble with Studio so don't let me scare you out of it...I am definitely biased by my many bad experiences.

Last edited:
If you plan to install factory talk view in any flavor to edit or update and convert a project i strongly recommend installing factory talk view in a virtual machine if you can.

Virtual box is free and it works great for this.

I know that the Rockwell guys do this all the time, but I'm not clear as what I would be trying to gain. Can you elaborate?

You gain a clean machine you can run JUST the FactoryTalk View ME on.
That way you don't have to worry about version problems, Service Pack problems, conflicting software, etc.
Makes troubleshooting a glitch about 10x easier.